Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Fall color. Pretty good season.IMG_20221009_133402130_HDR.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Good read/info DSD. You 2 guys are full of good Azalea info and I value your input here and in other's threads I've read. Now that I'm back on my PC with coffee in hand I can read...

I've always used the Mirical Grow acid mix until this year. I have 8 different Azalea which make up about 20% of my collection and we seem to get along very well. Probably one of my favorites. They seem to be loving the @Leo in N E Illinois ferts. All my Azalea are looking better than ever this year. Thanks Leo.

It was unwired and cut back quite a bit for the second time since flowering about 3-4 weeks ago. Most of these leaves are new accounting for some of the lighter color but the majority of what you saw as yellowing was the sunshine in the impromptu pics. Of course there is always room for improvement:)

I'm also noticing much better healing of the scares from branch removal between the new ferts and the new to me orange Japanese wound sealant. Callousing seems twice as fast this year.

Thanks for the great info.
I've been reading quite a few of these contest entry threads, over the last few days, and was wondering if you could share the Leo Azalea fertilizer, advice?

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Secret recipe! Brilliant!

Not really "secret" both formulas have been published, and are in public domain, as Michigan State University fertilizer formulations. But I "know a guy" and have them make up 500 pounds at a time for me. I then drive to their factory, load up the mini-van with 25 pound bags. Then over the next 2 or 3 years I repackage it from 25 pound bags to 1 pound containers. I sell at the orchid talks I give and the bonsai society meetings. Been doing this for near 20 years, it surprises me how much fertilizer I've moved one pound at a time. Fertilizer for trees in pots in artificial substrate (meaning not connected to the "living soil" of "ground growing" the nutrient requirements are pretty much the same, whether it is for "propagation plugs" in the landscape industry, or orchids in potted plant industry, houseplants, or just about anything living full time in a pot of man made "synthetic soil". The same laundry list of nutrients are needed.

Typical MSU formulations include the normal N-P-K with calcium, magnesium, and a 12 or more laundry list of micronutrients. The "acid plant formulation" is similar N-P-K but acidic salts of the minors, and less calcium and magnesium. The acid formulation was developed for the blueberry industry in Michigan.

So PM me.

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not really "secret" both formulas have been published, and are in public domain, as Michigan State University fertilizer formulations. But I "know a guy" and have them make up 500 pounds at a time for me. I then drive to their factory, load up the mini-van with 25 pound bags. Then over the next 2 or 3 years I repackage it from 25 pound bags to 1 pound containers. I sell at the orchid talks I give and the bonsai society meetings. Been doing this for near 20 years, it surprises me how much fertilizer I've moved one pound at a time. Fertilizer for trees in pots in artificial substrate (meaning not connected to the "living soil" of "ground growing" the nutrient requirements are pretty much the same, whether it is for "propagation plugs" in the landscape industry, or orchids in potted plant industry, houseplants, or just about anything living full time in a pot of man made "synthetic soil". The same laundry list of nutrients are needed.

Typical MSU formulations include the normal N-P-K with calcium, magnesium, and a 12 or more laundry list of micronutrients. The "acid plant formulation" is similar N-P-K but acidic salts of the minors, and less calcium and magnesium. The acid formulation was developed for the blueberry industry in Michigan.

So PM me.

The Professor​

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Have just received several PMs from several Bnuts, I'll get the fertilizer out beginning of next week. Monday is the plan. I have to travel this week, leaving Thursday. But thank you one and all for the votes of confidence. Thanks Mark. @Underdog

Top Bottom