Understanding the value of grafted trees

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Could you root graft above an ugly graft union and get better results? I know it would be a lot of work, but I would imagine the result would be more natural over time.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Grafted trees are not accepted in bonsai.

Except for JWP grafted to JBP trunks. Although I agree most of them are really ugly.
I think the OP was mostly referring to trunks rather than the example that @Adair posted above which is a beautiful tree,

Last edited:

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
More grafted bonsai:
IMGP0080.JPG
Shimpaku grafted onto juniper trunk. Each branch has been approach grafted onto the old trunk or branches.

IMGP0055.JPG

Japanese maple - 35 years. Previous trunk was tall and straight so a new apex was grafted on just above the first branch.

There are probably far more great grafted bonsai but as the grafts are not obvious many people just don't know they are grafted.

Pj86

Yamadori
Reaction score
Interesting thread. Would like to see an example of a recently grafted trunk compared after 5-10 year progression.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Could you root graft above an ugly graft union and get better results? I know it would be a lot of work, but I would imagine the result would be more natural over time.
One could. But if the plant is known to layer well, I would always take the airlayer approach. Less work and easier, imho.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I believe I implied, and everyone agrees, that if you can see the graft it detracts from bonsai, AND if you can't tell it's grafted it's acceptable. It is possible to make undetectable grafts and they are more difficult with some species. Like Corkbark. Also, you can generally predict early in a tree's life whether or not the graft will get uglier or if you have a good chance that it will be minimized over time.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I believe I implied, and everyone agrees, that if you can see the graft it detracts from bonsai, AND if you can't tell it's grafted it's acceptable. It is possible to make undetectable grafts and they are more difficult with some species. Like Corkbark. Also, you can generally predict early in a tree's life whether or not the graft will get uglier or if you have a good chance that it will be minimized over time.
You implied no such thing.
Grafted trees are not accepted in bonsai.

You’ve been proven wrong, and now you’re backpedaling.

JackHammer

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I am actually thinking to plant it with the graft at or just under the soil line. The thinking is that roots will develop higher and then on subsequent repotting, I will be able to remove a large portion of the old root stock.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I am actually thinking to plant it with the graft at or just under the soil line. The thinking is that roots will develop higher and then on subsequent repotting, I will be able to remove a large portion of the old root stock.
It depends on the species of the tree whether it would work or not. What you’re talking about is called a “ground layer”. Some will, some won’t.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
FTR....for me...

A grafted tree is different from a tree with foilage grafted on.

A grafted tree is unacceptable 80% of the time.

A tree with grafted foliage is acceptable 80% of the time.

Dance semantics like this is a BALLroom.

Sorce

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
FTR....for me...

A grafted tree is different from a tree with foilage grafted on.

A grafted tree is unacceptable 80% of the time.

A tree with grafted foliage is acceptable 80% of the time.

Dance semantics like this is a BALLroom.

Sorce
Is this an “acceptable” bonsai?

BE5E0006-74CE-45B7-9ED2-932C5C1B4B7A.jpeg

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Sure, if a bit lanky. Better lanky than janky though!

Sorce
It’s a graft. The trunk is JBP, the top is Mijami JWP. The whole tree is about 4 inches tall.

Top Bottom