anthony burce

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Good Morning, Good Evening wherever you are.
My japanese maple, Acer Palmatum, has uneven growth when cutting back to two buds.

Usually one grows like crazy and the other does not. How can I get a balance of energy for two buds? My developing lowest branch has never had a balanced bifurcation, year after year.

Please Help!

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
My guess is your timing is off as to when you are pruning, OR your fertilization is inadequate to promote healthy back budding.

First pruning for the year, would be about 8 to 10 weeks after the new leaves developed in spring. This is assuming that in California, you get cold enough to loose all leaves and go dormant in winter. If you don't loose leaves in winter, a Californian will need to advise, I only know cold winters. In my climate, usually prune only once per year. You have long summers, second pruning would be 10 weeks after first pruning. Be certain that second pruning is at least 10 weeks before average first frost.

Fertilizer should begin middle or late summer, through until a few weeks before leaf drop. No fertilizer in spring, to avoid overly long stem internodes.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Aye...Pics!

Could be insects or light or cut not far enough in....(Origin of Bonsai advice?)

Sorce

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Why the worry? Don't we want uneven growth? Surely after pruning one new (stronger) shoot becomes the continuation of the branch and the other (weaker) forms the secondary ramification. I have to work harder to get uneven shoots that I need on JM.
Am I missing something here?

Top Bottom