Unglazed & Marked Vintage (1970's)Bonsai Pot

Bolero

Omono
Reaction score
I have and am considering buying another 12" x 9" x 3" with Unglazed & Marked, Vintage (1970's)Bonsai Pot...
My question is: Is this, considering markings, considered to be Tacky what with the Markings, Tree scenes on one side and Lettering on the other...???

pot 001.JPG pot 002.JPG

Last edited:

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Painted scenes and kanji aren't tacky if they're done well. Your example, however, looks cheap. Maybe it's the photo.
Here is an etched version, on a dense clay, high-fired, vintage Chinese pot. The clay and etchings have sharper lines.
IMG_8023.JPG

kakejiku

Chumono
Reaction score
I have and am considering buying another 12" x 9" x 3" with Unglazed & Marked, Vintage (1970's)Bonsai Pot...
My question is: Is this, considering markings, considered to be Tacky what with the Markings, Tree scenes on one side and Lettering on the other...???

View attachment 127681 View attachment 127682

Bolero San:

The writing on the other side reads Douman Tamakin (Characters 堂満玉金) Maybe you can copy and paste and do a little research on finding out more about this pot. I do not know if this is a place or name, but sounds like a name.
One thing to notice, (and I do not know if this is camera angle etc.) but the characters do not seem to align. Slants down as you read left to right. Another is if you read it from right to left it would read kintama....(you can look up that Japanese slang for yourself).

If you are using it for a display...would recommend putting an informally styled deciduous or fruiting tree (quince based on kintama reference above :D)into this pot and using the landscape side, hiding the characters.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Also likely not high fired. Looks to be terra cotta.

Bolero

Omono
Reaction score
Bolero San:

The writing on the other side reads Douman Tamakin (Characters 堂満玉金) Maybe you can copy and paste and do a little research on finding out more about this pot. I do not know if this is a place or name, but sounds like a name.
One thing to notice, (and I do not know if this is camera angle etc.) but the characters do not seem to align. Slants down as you read left to right. Another is if you read it from right to left it would read kintama....(you can look up that Japanese slang for yourself).

If you are using it for a display...would recommend putting an informally styled deciduous or fruiting tree (quince based on kintama reference above :D)into this pot and using the landscape side, hiding the characters.

Doumam is a location in Guandong sp, pot is a cheapy at $35.00 shipped, however good size...will use landscape side as front thanks for all your info

Top Bottom