Unhealthy Shimpaku

BondaiNate

Sapling
Reaction score
Any idea as to why my oldest shimpaku isn't doing as well as my other Shimpakus? I water it maybe 1 to 2 times a week minus rain fall. There are 2 other shimpakusaround it that are deep green and healthy. Im slightly inexperienced with evergreens and can't figure out why.

Attachments

• 20201018_181048.jpg
    20201018_181048.jpg
    235.4 KB · Views: 88
  • 20201018_181058.jpg
    20201018_181058.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 77
  • 20201018_181209.jpg
    20201018_181209.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 72
  • 20201018_181213.jpg
    20201018_181213.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 77

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
As you are finding out, every tree is unique. I don't care if you are dealing with 10 clones that are all cuttings from the exact same tree; they will all be different in one way or another.

I am curious about his shimpaku because it is turning yellow. If the foliage were dying it would normally turn brown. Where did you obtain it? I am assuming you obtained it from a different source, or at a different time, than your other trees? I have several variegate shimpakus that look similar (but different) from this... but they don't suddenly turn yellow - they have been yellow all along.

BondaiNate

Sapling
Reaction score
As you are finding out, every tree is unique. I don't care if you are dealing with 10 clones that are all cuttings from the exact same tree; they will all be different in one way or another.

I am curious about his shimpaku because it is turning yellow. If the foliage were dying it would normally turn brown. Where did you obtain it? I am assuming you obtained it from a different source, or at a different time, than your other trees? I have several variegate shimpakus that look similar (but different) from this... but they don't suddenly turn yellow - they have been yellow all along.
Thanks for the response. I purchased the one in question (oldest) as well as the next oldest together about a year ago. The one in question as been deep green and turned yellow before for a short while. Since then it has turned back yellow and hasn't went back after me trying various things such as refraining for watering it and giving it less sunlight than normal with no change.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Thanks for the response. I purchased the one in question (oldest) as well as the next oldest together about a year ago. The one in question as been deep green and turned yellow before for a short while. Since then it has turned back yellow and hasn't went back after me trying various things such as refraining for watering it and giving it less sunlight than normal with no change.

If it turns back and forth yellow, does it turn yellow when you give it stronger sunlight?

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6

Looks very much like your drainage has broken down and the soil is not breathing. Watering one to two times a week seems awful sparse considering how hot the summer was. Do you mist the foliage and keep the tree in semii shade contrary too what some people boast?

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
No change when it is in stronger or minimum sunlight
It actually takes a good deal of time in either situation to come to a conclusion to answer BN's Q.
I water it maybe 1 to 2 times a week minus rain fall.
I'm 3 hrs SE of you and though you've had a few more weather systems pass through your area than we have...
1603067155974.png
...Columbus has only had 0.71" of precipitation this month. OSU reporting 0.68",
and you only water once or twice a week?

BondaiNate

Sapling
Reaction score
Looks very much like your drainage has broken down and the soil is not breathing. Watering one to two times a week seems awful sparse considering how hot the summer was. Do you mist the foliage and keep the tree in semii shade contrary too what some people boast?
I only water when the soil seems to dry out. I do several mistings a week when I water other plants. Also my shimpakus are placed under a hanging tree that provides about 80% of the day with shade. I will try changing the soil and replanting

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
my shimpakus are placed under a hanging tree that provides about 80% of the day with shade. I will try changing the soil and replanting
Whoa horsie!
Give it FULL SUN!!! It's not a house plant.

For repotting, at the present time, at most just use like a bonsai rake, or chop stick or pencil
and remove the top duff, at most 1/4" off the top soil, refresh with inorganic substrate and
repot in the Spring IF! it is healthy. You will kill your shimpaku repotting it when this week.

Full Sun no less than 6hrs/day. Lose the moss however high up the trunk it goes. It will rot the bark then the wood underneath.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I only water when the soil seems to dry out. I do several mistings a week when I water other plants. Also my shimpakus are placed under a hanging tree that provides about 80% of the day with shade. I will try changing the soil and replanting
If your soil is not drying out more regularly than twice a week your soil has broken down. When did you last repot and what was the neture of the soi? It may not be apparent but questions are critical.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I suspect spider mites. Have you checked for them?

Scott

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Not yellow, dry as bone. The focus on high drainage has been the primary goal in bonsai to the exclusion of all else. GIGO.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
:rolleyes:

OP may have checked out, but, at risk of repeating myself....

When your juniper is off color like this, check for spider mites before you do anything else. It takes 10 seconds and is almost ALWAYS the problem (at least in my garden). It’s quite easy to both diagnose and treat, so rule the easy stuff out first. Mites will often infect one tree in a collection or one branch on a tree before spreading. If it’s mites, diagnose, separate and treat. Here’s a resource on how to do that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom