Unidentified tiny leaf mountain laurel

Reaction score
Today I hiked to the top of a mountain and collected a beautiful specimin. I found it growing on a rock face and it had a great shape and great roots. It has very tiny leaves about 1/2" long by about 1/8" wide. In every way it resembles a mountain laurel except for it's small stature and tiny leaves. I cant upload any pictures because I'm using my phone but a's soon a's I can I'll upload some pics. I also found a wonderful piece of deadwood today also so I planted it with the deadwood. It looks great but I have no idea what it is. Can anyone help me identify this tree? I live in the mountains of north Carolina.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
First, I hope you had permission to dig the plant. Most of the mountaintops in the Blue Ridge in Virginia where I live are protected national and state forests where collection of live plants and animals are either prohibited or strictly regulated.

Second, digging without knowing what it is you're collecting can be a death sentence for the plant. One of the first rules of collecting for bonsai is understanding what you're taking home. Without that knowledge, it is very hard to provide adequate aftercare and aftercare is the most important aspect of collecting.

Third, the plant most likely is a mountain laurel, dwarfed by its stressful growing conditions on the mountain. As such, it is most likely stressed. Stressed plants need particularly effective care after they are dug up--that includes proper soil, watering and even bottom heat to stimulate root growth.

Collected trees simply can't be plunked into a bonsai container and expected to live. Most require at least a year or three of recovery time in a grow box or larger growing container before they can be significantly manipulated or designed for bonsai.

Skip all the above points at your own (and the plant's) risk.

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Not sure about there but here I am pretty sure is illegal to dig Mt Laurel.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Believe it or not it is illegal to dig up any coniferous tree, flowering dogwood or mountain laurel in North Carolina, my cousin removed some to add a porch and got fined and was threatened with jail. :(

ed

Reaction score
This was not on national forest service land. It was on private property in which I had permission to dig.

Reaction score
I can't load pics on this forum because all I have is my phone and I can't do that on my phone but most of my collection including the tree in question are on facebook. Jacob Watson look me up

Reaction score
I can't load pics on this forum because all I have is my phone and I can't do that on my phone but most of my collection including the tree in question are on facebook. Jacob Watson look me up

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
You can say that again;)
BTW, Love Franklin, you're in a beautiful part of the world. My MIL lives in Highlands, so we're there often. Always wish I could find better material or areas to collect there.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot

Papa bear?

Oh and BTW if Brian wishes he had places to collect & you have permission to collect I would make friends with Mr. Van Fleet. One of the good guys to be sure.

Reaction score
You can say that again;)
BTW, Love Franklin, you're in a beautiful part of the world. My MIL lives in Highlands, so we're there often. Always wish I could find better material or areas to collect there.

Thanks! I love it here too. I work in highlands in fact I'm there right now. I actually collected that plant on top of satulah up here. And yes papa bear. I just had a son so now I am papa bear

Top Bottom