Uninvited guests!

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I don't remember inviting this guy to the party?! Needless to say someone's been feeding him for him to be so unafraid. This is at my parents cabin in the mountains where I go yamadori hunting. Put some rounds in the air after shouting did nothing to hopefully put some healthy fear into him.
IMG_0908.JPG IMG_0909.JPG IMG_0910.JPG IMG_0911.JPG IMG_0912.JPG

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Looks to be a big fan of sugar water. Pretty cool.

Makes collecting in the area a bit tense I would imagine. I collected some Hemlock upstate PA this spring and hopped over a rock ledge and found a cave beneath it. I don't know who, if anyone, resided there, but I got out of there in a hurry!

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Kind of scary, not good for them to be habituated to humans. As to who is feeding that bear? I think maybe whoever has the hummingbird feeders could be a place to start...
Glad that nothing bad happened, be safe out there!

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Kind of scary, not good for them to be habituated to humans. As to who is feeding that bear? I think maybe whoever has the hummingbird feeders could be a place to start...
Glad that nothing bad happened, be safe out there!

My parents have been there for years and have never seen one on the front porch, They are retired so they are most days and have never seen any large animal there. My dad brings the feeders in every night as well so there's nothing there at night. It could be that the house further up the mountain didn't have anything and it came down a little bit more to look. They also never keep the trash out side for this reason. Needless to say it's a humbling/nerve racking/cool experience!

whfarro

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I agree. When I lived in NY the bears would empty bird feeders at properties along wooded areas and people would ask why... Simple - they are lazy.

Grimmy
Common place around here. Almost daily for some folks in Northern NJ and Hudson Valley area of NY. They like Bird feeders, garbage cans and compost piles. They are opportunistic and go for the easy pickings.

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
is that a dangerous bear??
You should probably get those bear pepper spray when you go getting trees.

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Black bears are not generally very dangerous - unless you get between one and its cubs. I come across them fairly regularly when i'm fishing in the mountains. Never seen one do anything but turn and run when it saw me. Of course those bears aren't used to seeing people and are afraid. The same thing probably doesn't apply to a hungry bear rummaging through garbage cans in a neighborhood.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Most attacks on humans by Black Bears is predation. They want to eat you. There have only been 11 recorded fatalities from attacks in Michigan since they have been keeping track of such things. They are very common where I live also.
I want one.

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
There have only been 11 recorded fatalities from attacks in Michigan since they have been keeping track of such things.

I guess that would be a more comforting number if we knew when they started keeping track. If it was 1930 that's not too bad. If it was last Thursday I would think twice before going into the woods.

Remember the best way to get attacked by a bear is to try to get a selfie with one.

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This was the only one I've ever seen in the woods that stuck around long enough to get its picture taken. She sent the cub up a tree but didn't pay much attention to me otherwise.

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
They say the dangerous and unpredictable ones are the "teenage" males. Just like humans. Make sure you ask his age before initiating contact.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I prefer my Glock 22, but I'll take that burger all day!
Boom appetit!

Top Bottom