United Kingdom based Bonsai Nuts?

gjclayton

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi all!!

I'm not totally new to bonsai, I've been lurking over the internet for a while and have a few acers on the go, a few pines, a yew and some other misc. garden plants hanging around waiting to be chopped and wired and "looked after".

I was wondering if this forum is good for UK based bonsaiers? I know a lot of information is universal and sure I'll get a lot of help here, but there are some regional differences if only navigating all the talk about regional differences in weather in the US vs UK.

Anyway! Look forward to being a member of the forum and continuing on my bonsai journey!

Thanks!!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I lost track of all the UKliacs.

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I was wondering if this forum is good for UK based bonsaiers? I know a lot of information is universal and sure I'll get a lot of help here, but there are some regional differences if only navigating all the talk about regional differences in weather in the US vs UK.

We've got quite a number of bonsai enthusiasts from the UK. You're actually a lot more temperate than many here in the US would think (given your latitude) but within the same USDA growing zone here in the US the sun is going to be more intense. A big portion of zone 8a/8b in the US is located in a broad band from South Carolina through Texas. That's around 30 to 35 north latitude, compared to the same zones in the UK are 50 to 55 degree north! 50 to 55 degrees N in North America is somewhere in central Canada... zone "freezing" :)

Last edited:

gjclayton

Seedling
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the responses! I also live in a house with a very sheltered garden that is directly in that little orange circle (London town) on the UK map!

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I hope that doesn't mean you're a Lord. We heathens would feel uncomfortable to have a upper class person snooping around. Do you know the Queen?

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Loads of good things here, also if you are not in the USoA.

But yeah.. The difference in latitude does mean you will get frustrated if you compare results of a growing season here vss there. Some of these guys grow 2 inch trident trunks in 3 years.. On our latitude that takes 5-10 years.

Ohw, one thing to notice: If you have an opinion and tell it, some people may seem to ignore you. THey do. In fact, this forum has an ignore function hiding what you write from them. So guys liks @Forsoothe! are not trying to be rude when they don't respond to what you write. They just do not see it anymore.

AJL

Chumono
Reaction score
Welcome to the nuthouse from sunny Shropshire! I find the international sharing of collective bonsai knowlege on here is really interesting and inspirational...
There are several regular British nutters on here if you want some more local info!

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
But yeah.. The difference in latitude does mean you will get frustrated if you compare results of a growing season here vss there. Some of these guys grow 2 inch trident trunks in 3 years.. On our latitude that takes 5-10 years.

On the other hand, you can laugh at the people in Michigan etc...

Lots of UK people here.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I hope that doesn't mean you're a Lord. We heathens would feel uncomfortable to have a upper class person snooping around. Do you know the Queen?

Almost as "funny" as I can get sometimes :D

Hey, you won't miss Meghan, from what I read from the white gutter press, but aren't you sad about Harry not being a prince any longer? :rolleyes:

Oh, that was very low, wasn't it?

👺

Welcome to crazy as the nonsense rascal says 🥴

gjclayton

Seedling
Reaction score
Thanks so much for all the replies!
I'm a grunt I'm afraid, no blue blood in me! I'm a small "r" republican too so Harry can do what he likes?! ;)

I didn't that Bonsai auction was on but I bet I'll get a lot of good pointers like that from here!
Happy to be on the forum!!

Reaction score
I’m from Wales but a complete beginner so won’t be much help to you, but just wanted to say Hello!

Top Bottom