Unknown conifer

PABonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Can anyone identify this tree? Owner is claiming Norway Pine, but that doesn't look at all like Norway Pine to me. And if you know what it is, is it even worth obtaining?

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
It looks like my Norfolk Pine. The kind they sell at big box stores at Christmas with ornaments on them. I got mine for $1 on the clearance rack a few years ago.

PABonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I guess I could see that. Are these suitable for the craft?

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Norfolk Pine

Yes ! 😄 😄 😄 😄 😄

(This) Norfolk is not in Norway, it's an island in the Pacific Ocean. Norfolk pine is not a "pine", it's an Araucaria.

Extremely difficult 1/ to keep as a house plant, 2/ even more difficult, if not impossible to train as bonsai.

In some 30 years, I only saw one picture (from Taiwan) of a species of Araucaria trained as bonsai. Yours must be Araucaria heterophylla.

Araucaria columnaris is typical of "Nouvelle Calédonie", but I saw many in Sicily, apparently they like their new home....

PABonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I will pass on this one then. Thanks guys.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think these are beautiful and have seen large ones, but that became that way from ignorant people who bought them and without much thought, grew them that large, so, if there is a difficulty, I believe it's trying to hard.

Of course, this is a prevalent human characteristic.

Sorce

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I have mine in a goofy little landscape IFOREST.jpg keep at my office for fun.

Top Bottom