Last edited:

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Lol 🤣
My profession is a liability sometimes.
The title of the thread made me think immediately to crustaceans not apple trees.

Probably doesn’t help that I'm at work reading the forums on my lunch break

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Very nice movement, and seems very healthy.
Thanks Judy. Almost everything I have are clumps, so hopefully I can make this into my first decent informal upright.

MaineChowder

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Looking Good! I am excited to see the progress throughout the summer. As I've told you, I have three airlayered wild crabapples (also unknown variety) and I'm hoping mine develop roots like that. I didn't know any better last year and planted them in straight potting soil. I think I'll repot them and add some spagnum moss to the mix.

I have always an appreciation for crabapples as the ones in my yard attract the cedar waxwings, one of my favorite birds.

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Looking Good! I am excited to see the progress throughout the summer. As I've told you, I have three airlayered wild crabapples (also unknown variety) and I'm hoping mine develop roots like that. I didn't know any better last year and planted them in straight potting soil. I think I'll repot them and add some spagnum moss to the mix.

I have always an appreciation for crabapples as the ones in my yard attract the cedar waxwings, one of my favorite birds.

If they're in nursery containers, potting soil is probably fine, but I'd add a bunch of perlite or pumice if you do repot.

Sphagnum is always good for the air layer itself, but I always grind it up so it's easier to remove when separating the layer.

MaineChowder

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
If they're in nursery containers, potting soil is probably fine, but I'd add a bunch of perlite or pumice if you do repot.

Sphagnum is always good for the air layer itself, but I always grind it up so it's easier to remove when separating the layer.
Thanks for the advice! I did add perlite to the mix when I planted them last summer, and they are in large 3 gallon buckets, so they should be alright. They are all showing signs of life and just starting to bud.

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I hope you didn't throw away the bottom. Looks like it still alive and viable.... Will be a good shohin someday.

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I hope you didn't throw away the bottom. Looks like it still alive and viable.... Will be a good shohin someday.
I suppose I could try, but the voles did a number on it (hence the ground layer), and it's dead 3/4 of the way around. Guess it could be good carving practice if it sprouts.

Roots are buried in some used pumice in my wheel barrow, maybe I'll pot it tomorrow.

1000003431.jpg

1000003430.jpg

(I know how to spell; Robin Hood: Men in Tights reference ;) ).

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I suppose I could try, but the voles did a number on it (hence the ground layer), and it's dead 3/4 of the way around. Guess it could be good carving practice if it sprouts.

Roots are buried in some used pumice in my wheel barrow, maybe I'll pot it tomorrow.

View attachment 539331

View attachment 539332

(I know how to spell; Robin Hood: Men in Tights reference ;) ).
Pot it up my friend... you will be glad you did in a few years

Top Bottom