Unknown species of Elm with yellow leaves

remist17

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I have a small elm that since leaf bud had yellow leaves. The leaves now have a small amount of brown on them. The leaves are still tender and have not hardened fully. I have fertilized with Dyna Grow twice this year. Every two weeks. The leaves remind me of a plant not getting enough sunlight. I put the tree in the sun which I guess could explain the brown tinge around the leaves. I repotted this tree when dormant this year and placed it in a large pot. Soil is Pumice/turface/ small amount of pine bark.

Any suggestions.
IMG_7417_zps102d2163.jpg

IMG_7418_zps4e45317a.jpg

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I wonder if they are getting enough water in that mix.seems very open.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Dyna Gro is a "light" fertilizer 7-9-5 and that Elm is in Inorganic Substrate. If anything the tree looks otherwise healthy. In my mind I am thinking the repot to Inorganic is going to require you bump up the nutrients(I use 20-20-20 at a much higher then recommended rate in Pumice/Grit and sometimes Pine Bedding). All of our Elms do good in Full Sun and enjoy a lot of water and nutrient. Myself I would leave it in a sunny location, water and fertilize heavier if the plant is otherwise healthy. I usually do not recommend on nutrients but am sharing what works on this side of the Commonwealth.

Grimmy

remist17

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
GrimmyAs always your comments are welcome. I took your advise from the other day and put some blood meal on it (nitrogen). We will see if that does the trick. I water every day or every other day. I water until the water comes out the bottom of the pot. I fertilize every two weeks with miracle grow or dyna grow. I also top dress with miracle grow pellets every three months.
I have a hard time finding 20-20-20 fertilizer in my area. Everything is the standard miracle grow concentration. May I ask were you located 20-20-20?

Found Schultz all purpose 20-20-20 from amazon. If you all think this is ok I ll get this.

Last edited:

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
If you call Grow More they can hook you up with a local distributor http://www.growmore.com/products/type/fertilizers.html. Or take a quick trip to Agway for the Miracle Grow Pro 20-20-20 http://www.agway.com/catalog/home_a...8_garden_pro_miracle_gro_plant_food_4_lb.html Any brand is ok - I use those two as they really dissolve well. If Agway or Tractor supply does not carry Miracle Grow Pro they will get it for you and call you in a couple days when it arrives.

Grimmy

Last edited:

remist17

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I have the standard miracle grow that I mix at a 1tbs per gal as noted on the directions. I usually use it every two weeks. I bought the dynagrow to try this year. I am stepping up the fertilizing schedule this year to see how the results are. Every two weeks I am using some sort of liquid fert.

Is there a huge difference from the standard miracle grow to the 20-20-20? I understand the 20 is more balanced across the board.

Called around to three Aways in the area. They all said Miracle grow is moving away from the 20-20-20 mix and they no longer stock it. Any truth to that?

Last edited:

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I have the standard miracle grow that I mix at a 1tbs per gal as noted on the directions. I usually use it every two weeks. I bought the dynagrow to try this year. I am stepping up the fertilizing schedule this year to see how the results are. Every two weeks I am using some sort of liquid fert.

In Inorganic mix I use the 20-20-20 at 5 to 7 times the rate they recommend. This year is a little different as I just have limited stock scattered about in an unfinished landscape.

Is there a huge difference from the standard miracle grow to the 20-20-20? I understand the 20 is more balanced across the board.

I don't think it will make much of a difference, just what I am used to using and I like being consistent because it is easier for me to track progress.

Called around to three Aways in the area. They all said Miracle grow is moving away from the 20-20-20 mix and they no longer stock it. Any truth to that?

Sounds like they make more cash on the standard mix there. The Miracle grow 20-20-20 seems to be available most anywhere here. The Grow More "I think" I ordered a 25 pound or so bags of it online as Agway looked at me like I was talking Bonsai or some strange language :p

Grimmy

remist17

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Amazon sells the schultz brand so I might just order it from them. I have the prime account so I would get it before I could actually get in the truck and pick up from local nursery.

I know so many people just say use whatever is on sale for fertilizer so I guess the all purpose would fall under this.

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Many people including Walter Pall use all purpose 20-20-20 and whichever one is on sale ;)

Grimmy

Top Bottom