Unknown species (skidsteer casualty)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
A local landowner has the unfortunate habit of using his skidsteer to blaze roads all over his property. Unfortunate particularly because the trail access to the designated wilderness up that canyon is over that property, so on my hikes up there I get to witness the destruction happening in stop motion.

On one such hike in late fall, I saw a small multitrunk deciduous tree laying on top of an illegal dam he had built across the wash, ripped out of the ground by the blade. The roots were torn off about 2' down, so I carried the tree home and plunked it in a 15gal nursery can to see if it might live.

Now, I am seeing signs of life in the form of what look like small flowers emerging in pairs along the branches.

0309211028a~2.jpg

I have not been able to identify the tree quite yet from local field guides. If and when it leafs out, I will post more.

EDIT: now that I see the above image on a large display, I can see how awfully blurry it is. Cell phones are a terrible way to take close-up images (at least mine is).

Top Bottom