Unlikely misfit

HotAction

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well, I brought this to the club meeting last night just for kicks. Turns out that it was a fan favorite. I call it "The Intimidator" for obvious reasons. Sorry the pic is so lousy. I started it from seed last year. If anyone of you Nuts wants to take a guess as to what it is, take your best shot.;)

(chances are this is the best it will ever be)

Dave

Attachments

• intimidator.jpg
    intimidator.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 192

HotAction

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hint, I collected the seed in central NY, and not from the grocery store;)

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Maybe pomagranite topping on something??????

Tink32

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The color and texture of the trunk reminds of a pyracantha, the leaves look a little different though.

Mojosan

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm still trying to figure out this "for obvious reasons" bit.

HotAction

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Like I said... for obvious reasons.;)

another hint: This is a tree, not a bush or shrub etc.

Attachments

• intimidator nascar virt.jpg
    intimidator nascar virt.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
To all Bonsai Nuts...you may have just witnessed the first EVER Bonsai-Nascar Crossover post...I hope.

HotAction

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Brian, how did I know it would be a Southerner to reply to that.;)

For all who were wondering, this is a northern catalpa.

Dave

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hello HotAction..lol.... You :)are under estimating the power of bonsai... In a mame cascade pot, with a different planting angle and the tree wired down, you could realistically have this...

Rob

Attachments

• inti.jpg
    inti.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 33

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Actually, a northern transplant...don't think I would have otherwise figured it out.:p

I know nothing about Nascar, except that I never see their fans at our shows :D and stay off I20 during those 2 weekends in April and October!

BUT...Catalpa is a majestic and amazing tree in nature. Never considered one for bonsai because the leaves are so big. Do they reduce at all?

HotAction

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
not sure about reduction, but even at 1/10 the size they would still be pretty large:eek:

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What is a catalpa?

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks but I already did that. Just wondering what the purpose of the tree in the USA was. Good shade etc etc. Says they are short lived and not much good for anything else as the wood is soft. I read they are used for some guitar parts due to having tonal wood.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I thought it was a pretty odd tree as well when the oldest one is 150... thats a baby by west coast standards... :D Unless you are an alder or a hemlock... :D

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I think catalpas are native to the alluvial bottoms along the upper Mississippi. Settlers frequently planted them as shade trees because they are tough. They also produce abundant racemes of flowers in the spring which turn into cigar-shaped pods. Its wood is very prized by woodcarvers and used to be the primary material for duck decoys. One guy down the street from me uses big catalpa trunks to create chainsaw sculptures. Most important though, they get big caterpillars on them which make excellent fishing bait!

Here is a pic I took of one in southeast Ohio in the Wayne National Forest during a snow squall. Not visible in the photo, but next to the tree are the ruins of an old log cabin.

Attachments

• AUT10918.jpg
    AUT10918.jpg
    220 KB · Views: 20
Top Bottom