Unpot gawky JBP ???

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Tree is a volunteer from my last house that had a large JBP in the yard.
I don't think it has much potential for a bonsai so I'd like to put it in a large "yard pot" just as an accent plant.
If there were no root work, would it be advisable to do it now (9/1) with temps in the 90s or wait in present pot til candles form next year?
I have seen the repotting pines varying here from summer to spring.
gawky pine.jpg
Yard pot is at bottom of pic. Thanks.

SizeXtraMedium

Yamadori
Reaction score
I don't think it has much potential for a bonsai so I'd like to put it in a large "yard pot" just as an accent plant.
If there were no root work, would it be advisable to do it now (9/1) with temps in the 90s or wait in present pot til candles form next year?
View attachment 208454
Well, I'm no expert on JBP but
I don't see a problem with slip potting as long as the roots are undisturbed. I would probably keep the tree in the shade for a few days after just to be safe

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
View attachment 208454
Well, I AM an expert on JBP, and I would advocate to never “slip pot” a JBP. Only “slip pot”, if the new pot is exactly the same dimensions as the old one. If you add new soil, it’s NOT a slip pot!

Wait until the buds begin to swell, or even before they swell, but do it in late “winter”. For you, that’s probably January. Perform the repotting just as you would to pot into a bonsai pot: flat and smooth on the bottom, little fuzzy feeder roots sticking 1/2 to 3/4 inch out around the sides. If the root ball has crappy soil, do a Half Bare Root repot.

If you haven’t already watched it, I highly recommend you watch Boon’s repotting DVD for JBP. You can stream stream them very economically over the Internet. Www.bonsaiboon.com.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Well, I'm no expert on JBP but
I don't see a problem with slip potting as long as the roots are undisturbed. I would probably keep the tree in the shade for a few days after just to be safe
I am all for newbies asking questions here on B’Nut. That’s how you learn.

But, to say “I’m not an expert, but here’s what I would do...” is just, well, not in anyone’s best interest.

I know you want to participate, but giving uninformed advice is not the way to do it. If you had said something like, “Nice tree, Mike! Let’s see what the experts have to say”, that puts you in the conversation, and bumps the thread to the top where it will catch attention.

There ARE experts here who will gladly offer advice. It makes it more difficult, however, to undo poor advice.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
There ARE experts here who will gladly offer advice. It makes it more difficult, however, to undo poor advice.
Well, in that spirit,

Given that it wasn't decandled, you could repot it now @Mike Corazzi. Temperature in the 90s isn't a problem. However, I would choose a time that the relative humidity is high or is likely to be high for a week or so. This affects a lower demand for water from the roots which will, of course, be impaired temporarily.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well, in that spirit,

Given that it wasn't decandled, you could repot it now @Mike Corazzi. Temperature in the 90s isn't a problem. However, I would choose a time that the relative humidity is high or is likely to be high for a week or so. This affects a lower demand for water from the roots which will, of course, be impaired temporarily.

Touche':eek:!

Top Bottom