Unusual E. Beech

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

Here is an unusual European Beech that I dug from the field a few years back. It was a tree about 15 feet tall when I made the first chop as seen in the picture. What I liked about this tree was the branch that is now the tree was broke and stripped by Elk that come to the field. I thought that if I could pull it off it would be a very unique and unusual deciduous tree, something out of the norm.

So here are pictures from about 4 weeks ago.... before any work was really done.. and then a picture of what I thought was it for this year, which included wire and some carving on the old stump.

Attachments

• fatbeechb4.JPG
    fatbeechb4.JPG
    15.2 KB · Views: 66
  • fatbeechchop.JPG
    fatbeechchop.JPG
    18.7 KB · Views: 47
  • fatbeechmidway.JPG
    fatbeechmidway.JPG
    12.9 KB · Views: 86

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
After what I had done a few weeks ago I just thought it was not quite right. Something didn't look that natural or finished and it bothered me....

So out came a wide variety of new carving bits, tools and specialty bits to break in. What I tried to do was continue the damage that the elk ahd inflicted all the way down to the roots. I tried to leave crags and splits that are hard to see in the pictures. But there are "checks" and such that are in the trunk. I burned it pretty good and will let our good ol' Oregon climate finish it off for me. By end of this summer it should be grayed up and blended pretty good with the rest of the tree.

Then......after opening the trunk up I had to change the front which meant a new pot.... I know, its the wrong pot, but this is going to give it room to grow for a few years to regain strength to the smaller roots so I can cut roots to get in the right pot.

So here is the damage, notice the picture with the 10" chopstick. I think this will be a bit bigger than the pictures lead on.

Well what do you think of this unusual tree??? Remember this is the first styling......

I wish there was a way I could get the pictures larger....these don't do it justice or show any detail.
Thanks, Jason

Attachments

• fatbeechfront.JPG
    fatbeechfront.JPG
    16.8 KB · Views: 54
  • fatbeechcarve.JPG
    fatbeechcarve.JPG
    24.5 KB · Views: 51
  • fatbeechfront2.JPG
    fatbeechfront2.JPG
    17.9 KB · Views: 78

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
I like it Jason! There is just something more pleasing to my eye about developing the natural character of a tree than forcing it into an unnatural mold. Please continue to post running updates on this work. This type of post is educational and interesting. Thanks!:D

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Great buttress on that tree. Have you picked a front yet? I really like the shari and trunk movement in your second pic, but I'm not sure you will be able to re-pot in this orientation. Good luck,

Dave

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Nice overall Jason. The only critisism I have is the movement is quite different between the left and right branches. Would it be better to have them more equall, whether that be more movement in the lower right branch, or less in the left branches? I also think that the lower branch could be let go for a bit to gain girth for balance purposes, but it's not far off. Thanks for the look see.

rlist

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Good progression. As I said a few weeks ago at the mid-point stage (third photo), I would like to see the lower back branch brought up and around to form the new apex and whack off that big spike (working in to the current deadwood of course) - shorten and reposition the branches into more of an upright manner. It will reduce the overall height of the tree and will improve the overall look and feel of an ancient monster hanging on by a thread - to me the base will look old but the spike will always seem like a new disaster and the two seem to clash...

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
I like it Jason! There is just something more pleasing to my eye about developing the natural character of a tree than forcing it into an unnatural mold. Please continue to post running updates on this work. This type of post is educational and interesting. Thanks!:D

Thanks MileHigh! Most people don't know what to think or think its junk because it doesn't adhere to the norm. For me that is the biggest attraction. I will keep this updated as the seasons go along... one trees leaf I will update them.

Great buttress on that tree. Have you picked a front yet? I really like the shari and trunk movement in your second pic, but I'm not sure you will be able to re-pot in this orientation. Good luck,

Dave

Hi Dave, yes the front is in there..... For the front I want to capture the deadwood from top to bottom and at the very top it has a twist making the front as seen in the first picture of the second post. The 3rd pic could also be the front.... just different by a few degrees.

Nice overall Jason. The only critisism I have is the movement is quite different between the left and right branches. Would it be better to have them more equall, whether that be more movement in the lower right branch, or less in the left branches? I also think that the lower branch could be let go for a bit to gain girth for balance purposes, but it's not far off. Thanks for the look see.

Thanks Bill..... I know what you are saying about the difference in movement. The right branch can have some movement added but not much. It is pretty stiff and fairly brittle. It would be easier to work with the left one to make it less drastic. Good eye and thanks for pointing that out to me.

Good progression. As I said a few weeks ago at the mid-point stage (third photo), I would like to see the lower back branch brought up and around to form the new apex and whack off that big spike (working in to the current deadwood of course) - shorten and reposition the branches into more of an upright manner. It will reduce the overall height of the tree and will improve the overall look and feel of an ancient monster hanging on by a thread - to me the base will look old but the spike will always seem like a new disaster and the two seem to clash...

Good points Rich, but it will be a while before I am to reduce the tree that much...... I want to work with it and prove you wrong, hahahaha. That spike is what I find most attractive about this tree, the base is fat and old, sure, but that is fairly common as compared to the "spike"..... Give me a few years, maybe it will become a shohin...... :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom