unusual pruning technique

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I stumbled onto a neat pruning technique that I've never read about. I use mainly the Walter Pall method of pruning and growing trees. I tend to let my deciduous trees grow pretty freely and then cut back to the outline a couple of times a year. That takes care of the silhouette, but leaves lots of long internal shoots. I go back into the canopy and trim those shoots back. On a bushy tree, it's sometimes difficult to find all the too-long shoots. What I do is gently shake the pot and tree. This causes the long shoots to move more and at a slower pace than the shorter shoots. It's surprising how the long shoots stand out after you've done this a few times. Try it. I'll bet it makes you smile when you see it happening.

jandslegate

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Really cool. I will use this as a more focused approach on some of my trees in the future. I have a dwarf Crape Myrtle that's growth went 0 to 100 this season. I was doing well to keep a silhouette for more than a week or two. Thank you for this.

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I stumbled onto a neat pruning technique that I've never read about. I use mainly the Walter Pall method of pruning and growing trees. I tend to let my deciduous trees grow pretty freely and then cut back to the outline a couple of times a year. That takes care of the silhouette, but leaves lots of long internal shoots. I go back into the canopy and trim those shoots back. On a bushy tree, it's sometimes difficult to find all the too-long shoots. What I do is gently shake the pot and tree. This causes the long shoots to move more and at a slower pace than the shorter shoots. It's surprising how the long shoots stand out after you've done this a few times. Try it. I'll bet it makes you smile when you see it happening.
Cool idea. I just found a 12 inch shoot on the interior of my Chinese elm. Living a secret life.

Top Bottom