Unusual tree species

Canonfodder

Sapling
Reaction score
I have begone my bonsai journey of discovery this year and have decided to begin from the seed to learn the full aspect of the art. From what I have learned from browsing the internet, any tree can be used in the art of bonsai. One particular tree I am dedicated to try is the Quaking Aspen.
06ABCC47-8846-4A8C-B667-CC8744C582AB.jpeg

Another tree is the Yucca Brevifolia Joshua tree. This tree is a dryer climate tree. I would like to hear some opinions on growing, artistic thoughts and proper care for them.
4BDF694F-B4CB-4350-9429-C3F79C7ECBB4.jpeg

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi, welcome to the nuthouse.

Personally I find Yucca poor for bonsai. In the end you are looking for trees that ramify well and to some extent, miniaturize. I do not see this in yucca.

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Aspen is not very long lived I believe. Let me just say like with birch I dont trust it, lol.
Yucca is probably wayyy out of proportions when you try to bonsai it

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Although there are some who disagree with Nigel Saunders' bonsai efforts/philosophy, you gotta give him credit for trying some unusual things.
Yucca is one of them. He has a playlist on his YouTube channel for that species. You can search through there, check his updates on it and decide for yourself whether it's worthwhile bonsai material.

Canonfodder

Sapling
Reaction score
Although there are some who disagree with Nigel Saunders' bonsai efforts/philosophy, you gotta give him credit for trying some unusual things.
Yucca is one of them. He has a playlist on his YouTube channel for that species. You can search through there, check his updates on it and decide for yourself whether it's worthwhile bonsai material.

Thank you for sharing the link to Mr. Sanders videos. I watched one of them and I can see some unique aspects to the yucca. What I did notice is that it tends to look more like a common house plant then a tree. He mentioned in the video that he found the trees on the side of the road, so he was working with a pallet that already had some work on it. I will continue to research the tree and how to grow it from seed. Once again thank you for your insite!

Canonfodder

Sapling
Reaction score
Hi, welcome to the nuthouse.

Personally I find Yucca poor for bonsai. In the end you are looking for trees that ramify well and to some extent, miniaturize. I do not see this in yucca.
Guten abend! I’m pretty nuts myself so I should fit in well in this insane asylum. In the video I watched on Nigel Sander’s YouTube, I did notice the unpredictability of the tree. I’ll keep looking into the nature of the species to see what can be discovered. Danke for your input.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
. I’ll keep looking into the nature of the species to see what can be discovered.
Especially when you are learning about the artform, I think it heps to start off with species tested and prooven complicit to our bonsai whims.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Don't nail yourself down to a particular approach. Try weird stuff, starting from seed, cuttings from anything. But also get some traditional bonsai material to learn the basics while you wait on the other stuff.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
When you are considering species for bonsai, try starting with easier species that (1) are super strong and easy to care for and (2) have characteristics that make them more suitable for bonsai, like small leaves, back-budding, chunky bark, deadwood, etc

Joshua Tree I would consider to be an uber advanced species. It is a high desert plant that requires the sun and the heat of the desert, but cool/cold nights. I am not aware of any way to reduce the size of the growth, and though you can cut it back hard like a yucca to create ramification, there is no way to guide the growth. Also, as expected of a desert plant, it grows with a deep tap root that makes it difficult to transplant without killing the plant :(

I usually recommend Chinese elm as my "easiest bonsai species for anyone", and there are numerous cultivars with interesting characteristics. As far as conifers go, any type of juniper with scale (versus needle) foliage is also pretty good as a starter.

Top Bottom