Unusual trident maple sources

JEads

Mame
Reaction score
I am looking for sources of Trident Maple seedlings that differ from the normal variety.
I have seen some stuff online, but mostly information sources not stuff for sale.
The ones i am looking for include, but are not limited to:
Miyasama Kaede
Kifu Nishiki (round leaf)
Goshiki Kaede (variegated leaf)
Thanks
John

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Brent at Evergreen Gardenworks has a couple of different varieties, not the ones you're looking for but some unusual kinds (rough bark type, and another with leaves that have rolled margins).

He may have those specific kinds or other varieties in the works, just not ready for sale yet. Might be worth sending an email.

Bananaman

Chumono
Reaction score
I have had or still have all the varieties I show on my blog.

https://bonsaial.wordpress.com/trident-maples/

The rolled margin variety (Naruto) is terrible as it looks dead most of the season. The round variety (Acer Buergerianum integrifolium ‘Maruba tokaede) is very slow growing. The others are either very slow growing or not very hardy at all. I have never made a bonsai out of any of them, as they are very slow to bonsai techniques. The long leaf varieties are fairly fast growing but are usually grafted and unless grafted for bonsai look terrible.

If you just want to grow a yard tree then they are pretty spectacular looking.

This is Miyasama. The best of the best for bonsai and fast grower.

019.JPG

JEads

Mame
Reaction score

The rolled margin variety (Naruto) is terrible as it looks dead most of the season. The round variety (Acer Buergerianum integrifolium ‘Maruba tokaede) is very slow growing. The others are either very slow growing or not very hardy at all. I have never made a bonsai out of any of them, as they are very slow to bonsai techniques. The long leaf varieties are fairly fast growing but are usually grafted and unless grafted for bonsai look terrible.

View attachment 217954
Thanks Bananaman. I have seen these on your site and have watched the above tree develop.
Do you have plants, seedlings, or cuttings that you would sell of any of the ones that you carry?
I am most interested in Miyasama, Maruba and goshiki. Naruto has never appealed to me.
Thanks

miker

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
There is at least one vendor online that has several (like 5-10) unusual A. buergerianum varieties. Let me to find them and I post the sources.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Mrmaple.com has many/some of the varieties you're seeking.
I live near them a d have a number of their maples in my yard and as far as I know all thier plants are grafts. This is a problem with landscape nurseries in that in order to produce the large quantities they sell, they have to graft onto other rootstock.

Bananaman

Chumono
Reaction score
I live near them a d have a number of their maples in my yard and as far as I know all thier plants are grafts. This is a problem with landscape nurseries in that in order to produce the large quantities they sell, they have to graft onto other rootstock.
And that is the reason I said that most of these are inferior for bonsai due to slowness of growth on their own roots. In fact non existent in my experience. I have the verigated species at home in a four inch pot as a triple plant start about a foot or so tall. I’ve had it 8 years and it hasn’t grown an inch in 8 years. I have other tridents I’ve grown from seed that grow to an inch in two years.

Bananaman

Chumono
Reaction score
Frokensteen is due for a repot this year so the three verigated tridents are being grafted to the trifidium trident. Just to see if the verigated will grow better on trifidium roots. Since it’s a mass merger of six trees currently joined as a merged trunk tree, I figure what the heck a couple arms off someone else couldn’t hurt.

rodeolthr

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
MrMaple.com is currently having a Black Friday price reduction on their Trident maple variants

jmw_bonsai

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Ive been pushing them for years to root some. Of course its not their primary market, but since they are rooting other species, I think they are trying a few things.

They have announced cutting of one of their cultivars, so if we start inquiring they might consider more. The one they have rooted cuttings of is 'Jade Dragon' I think. Its very similar to Kotohime form.

jmw_bonsai

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b

Attachments

• IMG_20181120_160015 Mino Yatsubusa Trident.jpg
    IMG_20181120_160015 Mino Yatsubusa Trident.jpg
    252.8 KB · Views: 74
D

Deleted member 21616

My Mino is about 4x4 ft now, so ill be trying to make cuttings over next few years. For some reason I havent had great success with tridents. I think I keep my misting tent to moist for them.

i have figured out how to get trees into Canada - when the cuttings are ready please keep me in mind :)

jmw_bonsai

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
i have figured out how to get trees into Canada - when the cuttings are ready please keep me in mind :)
Keep me bookmarked and prompt me every so often. I travel a lot, so tend to do some propagating and then forget for months. So I really forget who all was interested. I have been doing various cultivars over the last few years. Of course with my lack of attention slow growing. But over the next few years I should have some I would feel like selling. Right now I wouldn't feel right they are so small. Here is a picture of some of the cuttings last week. They are the potted ones in 5 inch bulb pans. In the grow bed behind are air layers.

Attachments

• IMG_20181120_155540 Cuttings Nov 2018.jpg
    IMG_20181120_155540 Cuttings Nov 2018.jpg
    222.9 KB · Views: 74

atlarsenal

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Keep me bookmarked and prompt me every so often. I travel a lot, so tend to do some propagating and then forget for months. So I really forget who all was interested. I have been doing various cultivars over the last few years. Of course with my lack of attention slow growing. But over the next few years I should have some I would feel like selling. Right now I wouldn't feel right they are so small. Here is a picture of some of the cuttings last week. They are the potted ones in 5 inch bulb pans. In the grow bed behind are air layers.
You’ve got a neighbor that would be interested in a couple also. :)

B.uneasy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b

View attachment 217954
jelly bean maple 😂

Top Bottom