Unwelcome visitor to my garden.

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So I am struggling lately with the broken bond to one of my favorite trees. My “twisty sister” of a Deshojo is currently in a grow box doing the nebari dance. Recently I got some new neighbors who must have looked over the fence and mistaken her for some sort of exotic cultivar of another species with similar shaped leaves. (Idiots)

About a month or two ago they jumped my fence twice in the middle of the night to come and explore my garden and come and rip at this tree which was up on my secure “catio” and leave things in a mess. They haven’t returned since caught, videoed and police. But my sanctuary feels violated. I love spending time outside with my trees in the summer but now I find myself only going out to water/prune and no longer sit with them. What’s more every time I look at that maple I am reminded of the intrusion and don’t feel any joy about working on her.

I know it sounds stupid to some but it’s amazing the effect a complete imbecile can have on another’s happiness and security. Just needed to vent.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I had actual weed in the backyard and some kids stole half of the plants and left a trail of destruction. I didn't care about the weed at all, but the damage they did to the neighbors property and our backyard kept me up at night for 3 months.
The next year they destroyed only the camera I put up.

It'll get easier over time, but the feeling sucks.
It might sound like an overkill, but I put up signs all over the yard with "you're being recorded".
In yours it might help to put a sign down "this is a japanese maple". Everyone should stay the heck off of each others property in the first place, but I believe its a safe option to be extra clear to them just for the sake of not having your shit wrecked because they can't tell the difference.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
My neighbors know I am very pro second amendment and respect the property bounderies, also know I have a pit bull and my former K9 partner from when I was police, plus know there is 24 hour video since I also have classic british cars..... even their kids are well behaved and ring the door bell if their ball or something crosses the fence.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
So sorry @Mapleminx . My trees are all in full view on both the south and east side of the house. We both work and have no cameras. The only problems I've had are the freaking squirrell's. I guess there are advantages to living in a tiny village.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I usually only have problems with these rodents in the fall, but they are particularly destructive this spring, digging in everything. squirrell.jpg

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Time will heal your wounds as it will twisty sisters. Unfortunately people she shit. Hopefully those neighbors learned their lesson and you have educated them on what a Japanese maple is. Your happiness will return, it’s just going to take some time.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I usually only have problems with these rodents in the fall, but they are particularly destructive this spring, digging in everything. View attachment 440441
Those little bastards have been rough here this year as well. With my trusty little non lethal animal trap and a bag of peanuts I have successfully relocated about two dozen this year. No more destruction 😉

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
A few days ago, I accidentally left my left mud boot laid down outside my door to the backyard. A little turd of a toad decided to make it his home overnight. The next day I found it and shook it out. I didn't think much of it but did make sure that both my boots were in standing position. The day after, I found it again inside my left boot. Apparently it can climb up and into my boot. So I took it to a corner of my backyard and dumped it. Lo and behold it got back that very night.

This morning I slung it to my neighbor's backyard. My neighbor has quite a few chickens in his yard. If that little turd makes it back, I will take pictures of it and post it here then take him out to the country. It will then has earned the right to be free.

You can take over my yard, but you will NEVER TAKE MY CAJUN MUD BOOTS!!!!!

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
A few days ago, I accidentally left my left mud boot laid down outside my door to the backyard. A little turd of a toad decided to make it his home overnight. The next day I found it and shook it out. I didn't think much of it but did make sure that both my boots were in standing position. The day after, I found it again inside my left boot. Apparently it can climb up and into my boot. So I took it to a corner of my backyard and dumped it. Lo and behold it got back that very night.

This morning I slung it to my neighbor's backyard. My neighbor has quite a few chickens in his yard. If that little turd makes it back, I will take pictures of it and post it here then take him out to the country. It will then has earned the right to be free.

You can take over my yard, but you will NEVER TAKE MY CAJUN MUD BOOTS!!!!!
Toad never made it back. I think the chicken got him.

Top Bottom