Upcoming Cold for the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I hear you!!! much colder up there!

we are in the steady teens evening/night here. I have a heat pumps on 2 central ac units and this week the auxiliary heat seems to not be holding up. blows cool air. crap system in real cold. I miss having radiator heat when I lived up north years ago. that is real heat lol...

crossing fingers for the jeep lmk how it goes !

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a

we are in the steady teens evening/night here. I have a heat pumps on 2 central ac units and this week the auxiliary heat seems to not be holding up. blows cool air. crap system in real cold. I miss having radiator heat when I lived up north years ago. that is real heat lol...

Heat pumps suck when temps outside fall below freezing and stay there. Forced hot water systems w/ baseboard radiators are the most efficient and comfortable way to heat. If you can throw in radiant heat in bathroom floor, you're golden!

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Heat pumps suck when temps outside fall below freezing and stay there. Forced hot water systems w/ baseboard radiators are the most efficient and comfortable way to heat. If you can throw in radiant heat in bathroom floor, you're golden!

Truth!! We're renting now but in a few years, want to own and this is another reason why I keep leaning toward building a house instead of finding/buying one.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b

Mechanic called in...most likely thermostat froze open. He has seen a few today already...easy fix though.

I explained my heat...has not been well while sitting idle for a little while. First to have nothing. He said I could run it at the bus stop again...watch it doesn't overheat.

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Mechanic called in...most likely thermostat froze open. He has seen a few today already...easy fix though.

I explained my heat...has not been well while sitting idle for a little while. First to have nothing. He said I could run it at the bus stop again...watch it doesn't overheat.

Not so bad good to hear. I just spoke to one of my clients in MA and he said his pipes have been frozen for almost a week. This cold really does a number on things. It amazes me how cars operate in places like AK and such!

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
@StoneCloud Back when we had that artic spell...towns were without water. The frost line went deeper...one main line at the lake froze as well...it housed two families. Who...both refused to leave their faucet drip. We created a secondary system..But they refused to again...let it run at a drip. So the one guy would drain the line...and would periodic turn the water on for him and his neighbor lady.

Sorry to hear anyone is without water...with frozen pipes.

Sounds like an easy fix for the jeep...sadly mechanic's mom passed today battling cancer. She lived at the lake where I do. Sucks...but she fought a long hard fight...and was ready. Still never easy to say goodbye.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
@StoneCloud ... The mechanic said to let it try and warm this afternoon...and I have heat like I never had the kind of heat this afternoon in a long while! No bill to repair...imagine that!

Make sure you get a new thermostat installed ASAP and no long drives until then. It is indeed inexpensive but when not proper can cause a LOT of problems. Be safe, stay warm :)

Grimmy

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Mine too. The garage was just too cold. This weather is ridiculous. :eek:

Same here but today it was 20F outside and hit 50F in the attic. They defrosted and needed water of all things :p It is going to be frigid tonight again but going by observation I doubt it will go to under 31ish up there.

Grimmy

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
@StoneCloud ... The mechanic said to let it try and warm this afternoon...and I have heat like I never had the kind of heat this afternoon in a long while! No bill to repair...imagine that!

Nice !! Never give up on the Jeep LOL

and what grimlore said is good advice as well.

Sorry to hear about their mom, I can't imagine.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Make sure you get a new thermostat installed ASAP and no long drives until then. It is indeed inexpensive but when not proper can cause a LOT of problems. Be safe, stay warm :)

Grimmy

Well, I may put it off...and let the man bury his momma...He has a full lot of vehicles in for that issue. That won't unthaw. Will make a mental note that it still needs correcting. Thanks...

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
-15 With windchill...and my second love...my jeep. Decides to only blow heat when moving. Sitting at the bus stop I tried to rationalize with my son...it was better than being in the elements. This heat thing is new with my jeep. Time...to look for another vehicle I am tired of pumping $$$ into it. My cheeks are frozen...

Trees are happy sitting at 33F with secondary heat running...
My Jeep has seat warmers. No frozen cheeks here.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
My Jeep has seat warmers. No frozen cheeks here.
I thought that having heated seats was a bit frivolous when I bought my current Subaru, but the dealer told me he did too till he got one. He said he drove his dads car that had heated steering wheel, and I thought that was a bit over the top. But now I want that bad... was -12 when I got up this morning... and will be colder later this week.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
My neighbor just drove by in his heated seats to see me shoveling last Saturday’s dusting of snow into a bucket to bring into my garage to put on some trees. We are supposed to get 6-10 tonight and I was outside shoveling less than an inch into a bucket to bring inside. If I didn’t already have the village idiot title I think I just secured it in the eyes of my neighbors. 2018 is shaping up alright.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I thought that having heated seats was a bit frivolous when I bought my current Subaru, but the dealer told me he did too till he got one. He said he drove his dads car that had heated steering wheel, and I thought that was a bit over the top. But now I want that bad... was -12 when I got up this morning... and will be colder later this week.
I actually use the heated steering wheel more that the seat warmers.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I thought the heated seats and steering wheel were kind of stupid, until it got cold. AWESOME!!!!

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I thought the heated seats and steering wheel were kind of stupid, until it got cold. AWESOME!!!!

Crystals car has heated seats, mirrors, washer fluid, wheel, and all the other normal options. Those seats are nice if you have occasional back flair ups too. :cool: My truck has none of that except normal heat and rarely gets driven, a 1999 with 20,000 original miles...

Oh, last night the weather looked like we were going to be missed by the storm and I woke up to it starting a few minutes ago, and now they say will last all day -

IMG_1720.JPG

Grimmy

Last edited:
Top Bottom