Update on a Mugo I bought this spring

cheesecakeFTW

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So this is my first Mugo and one of my first (pre)bonsai.
I bought it this spring, back then this is what it looked like:
a.jpgb.jpg

The new candles have extended nicely and I have now cut off about 50% of the root ball and foliage. I repotted it with some pumice around the remaining root ball which I did not disturb.
c.jpgd.jpge.jpg

Not sure if I should wire it now as well or wait till next year.
The goal for the next few years will be to 1: not kill it and 2: chase back the foliage closer to the trunk.
What do you guys think?

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I wired my mugo in the first year, this spring. Now it's producing buds on the trunk already.
Opening them up seems like a real good idea. It'll help with goal 2.
However, they say it's easy to slip the bark when wiring mugo in summer. I haven't had the same experience, but I think it's still a valid warning.

Good luck!

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
2: chase back the foliage closer to the trunk.
What do you guys think?
Hi cheesecakeFTW;
It appears you removed foliage closer to the trunk, and now you're wanting to create foliage closer to the trunk.

The roots should have more room to develop the whole...especially, if you're wanting back budding and
for that back budding to develop into strong branches. You also want the root system to develop and they're in a crib.
As perfect a crib as it is, it is very nice and properly matched for the type of bonsai, just not for the the timing of it I don't think.
Now if the whole were in perspective of the finished product, then that pot would be fine and dandy. Wish I had that pot.

I would not wire it yet given the amount of both, upper and lower work carried out already.
Had you just "whacked" on it as you said, then Midsummer is ok to wire. Start with aluminum wire carefully and don't
try to get to the finished product in one go of it (saving most bending for later).
Not sure of your solstice timing there in Sweden, looks like Midsummers Eve holiday was June, 24th.

Please digest as much info as you can from this following link. It is exceptionally, valuable...

https://www.bonsainut.com/resources/compiled-vance-wood-on-mugo-pines.23/

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
EDIT: I apologize for referring to the term "whacked".
That was a different thread on a recently purchased Hinoki,
the OP said they'd 'HACKED' the tree, but still the reply is to your Mugo and unwaivered/steadfast.

cheesecakeFTW

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi cheesecakeFTW;
It appears you removed foliage closer to the trunk, and now you're wanting to create foliage closer to the trunk.

The roots should have more room to develop the whole...especially, if you're wanting back budding and
for that back budding to develop into strong branches. You also want the root system to develop and they're in a crib.
As perfect a crib as it is, it is very nice and properly matched for the type of bonsai, just not for the the timing of it I don't think.
Now if the whole were in perspective of the finished product, then that pot would be fine and dandy. Wish I had that pot.

I would not wire it yet given the amount of both, upper and lower work carried out already.
Had you just "whacked" on it as you said, then Midsummer is ok to wire. Start with aluminum wire carefully and don't
try to get to the finished product in one go of it (saving most bending for later).
Not sure of your solstice timing there in Sweden, looks like Midsummers Eve holiday was June, 24th.

Please digest as much info as you can from this following link. It is exceptionally, valuable...

https://www.bonsainut.com/resources/compiled-vance-wood-on-mugo-pines.23/

Thank you for the advice!

I can assure you that even if it might look like it, I did not remove any foliage close to the trunk. I removed long and straight branches that grew in awkward positions as well as the old and dead foliage.

Maybe it was to early to plant in a bonsai pot, my reasoning was that I didn't need the trunk much bigger so I thought it was fine. If it slows down the process of getting backbudding I will have to live with that! ?

I will save the wiring till next summer.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thank you for the advice!

I can assure you that even if it might look like it, I did not remove any foliage close to the trunk. I removed long and straight branches that grew in awkward positions as well as the old and dead foliage.

Maybe it was to early to plant in a bonsai pot, my reasoning was that I didn't need the trunk much bigger so I thought it was fine. If it slows down the process of getting backbudding I will have to live with that! ?

I will save the wiring till next summer.
Good to know. Yes it does appear foliage was removed close in from the original 2D picture
Not by cut marks just the thinned down look.

Did you read the link to. Vance’s compiled resources on Mugo?

cheesecakeFTW

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Good to know. Yes it does appear foliage was removed close in from the original 2D picture
Not by cut marks just the thinned down look.

Did you read the link to. Vance’s compiled resources on Mugo?

Yeah that's probably the old needles that browned this summer!

I have read all the advice I can find from Vance. It is a great resource but some things still confused me a bit.

Top Bottom