Update on my short, fat JBP

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Seeing Daves and Brian's trees reminds me I haven't posted this one in a while. image.jpg

I've taken the big sacrifice branch off, I still have the apex sacrifice branch on. I'll take it off this summer. There's a bud I want to see develop a little more before I cut it off.

This is the tree with the first lower branch inthe left that is an approach graft. The graft started two years ago. I plan to separate it this summer. In preparation, I've been carving back on the mother portion, making it have to use the graft Union more. This summer, I'll cut the cord!

That long leggy branch on the right is also supporting an approach graft. It's going to be shortened as well.

Now, I need to get out and dab vinegar on the trunk to kill that moss!

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Thanks for posting this. It's Telperion twin brother is in my garden, complete with a grafted first left branch and mossy trunk, so I'm watching the progress with some interest...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    314 KB · Views: 113
Reaction score
Agreed, and quite similar in some ways! I do like the black pines. Need to buy one part grown I think, anyone has any spares going?? :D

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks for posting this. It's Telperion twin brother is in my garden, complete with a grafted first left branch and mossy trunk, so I'm watching the progress with some interest...

They were probably grown right next to each other!

By this summer, when I prune off the remaining sacrifice branches, it will begin to shape up. And since there will be no sacrifice branch to take all the energy, I expect all the little branches to get stronger.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
At risk of being ridiculed, what is a sacrifice branch? Purpose? :rolleyes:
It is a branch grown strictly for the sake of making the trunk/branch thicker. It is allowed encouraged to grow rampantly to achieve this end. Once the objective is achieved, it is cut off (i.e., sacrificed).

Reaction score
Ahhhhh and the penny drops......... this now makes a lot of things make sense thank you :)

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
They were probably grown right next to each other!

By this summer, when I prune off the remaining sacrifice branches, it will begin to shape up. And since there will be no sacrifice branch to take all the energy, I expect all the little branches to get stronger.
Yes, it's cool how much you can advance a JBP in one session. I think I'll make some decisions on mine in the fall.

Mine is the variety, 'arakawa' (though not a nishiki), do you know if yours is too?

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have no idea if my tree is any special "variety". It doesn't appear to be. Just normal JBP.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
At risk of being ridiculed, what is a sacrifice branch? Purpose? :rolleyes:

While I don't have a picture of this particular tree from when it was being field grown, I have seen a picture of others grown by the grower. He allows them to get as much as 15 feet tall! Before chopping them short.

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Here's one...final bonsai is low, sacrifice branch allowed to run and thicken the trunk.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    405.7 KB · Views: 71
Top Bottom