Update on the straight trunk bunjin

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hello all,

A month or so ago I posted a thread about this tree. I was thinking of removing some branches after already training the tree for about 6 years.

Here is the link to that thread.

http://bonsainut.com/forums/showthr...-this-bunjin/page6&highlight=cast+vote+bunjin

It was a long thread so I figured I'd just start a new one. Anyway, I picked a different front for the tree which has made for a much more balanced and better movement tree. I eliminated the look of upper part of the trunk and the straight section at the top as well. I wish I decided on this front before the repot a month ago...lol. It will require a little different position in the pot on the next repot. The most important thing, however, is that after many years, the tree has finally revealed it's true form to me.

Here is the side by side old and new front. Then just the new front. The tree is around 2 1/2 feet tall

Rob

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thanks sawgrass. Much more pleasing to the eye. I was never completely on board with the trees upper trunk swooping to the right. It just look like the tree was presenting something to the side instead of to the viewer. Basically, all I did was use the side view as the new front. Also, twisting the apex around to line up with the new view. Also, even though the low branch on the right is the main anchoring branch, the next branch up on the left that is in front of the trunk is sort of the primary branch. Not only serving the function of breaking up the trunk, but it anchors the whole design.;)

Rob

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I love this tree, Rob....but I prefer the original front and trunk line...much more dynamic and unique in my mind Either way, it's a great tree.

Dave

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I love this tree, Rob....but I prefer the original front and trunk line...much more dynamic and unique in my mind Either way, it's a great tree.

Dave

Thanks Dave. I do like both. I just did not like the swoop to the right of the upper half of the trunk. Either way, the tree is kind of unique, which makes it interesting. Funny thing, this tree actually has about 3 fronts..lol..This is the third or maybe fourth front for this tree in 6 years. Only thing moved was the apex.;)

Rob

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I just did not like the swoop to the right of the upper half of the trunk.

Funny...the "swoop" to the right is what makes this tree so special and unique, again, in my mind. It was what set it apart from other bunjin...and you should know that the image of your tree from the original front is the one I'll always recall as being an exceptional example of bunjin style bonsai...it's burned into my memory as such, already.

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looking good Rob! I like both for different reasons but I think I'm sold on the new front. The original looks a bit more rugged, but the new is more elegant. And I feel like the new front gives the tree more depth. Good work :)

TheSteve

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
a vote for the original front for me too.
that swoop to the right made that long left branch work. now it is shadowed by the apex, more improbable and bothers me.... Still a sweet tree, just lost a little magic for me

xray360

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-7
This is a great tree. I like the tall slender ones. Maybe because I'm tall and slender =) How do you feel about the very bottom jin on the second photo?

Photoshop of it removed =S

Clone Stamp copy.jpg

I don't feel worthy of even making a photoshop edit of this tree but it's undo-able in photoshop =) In the first photo though it looks good at that angel. Maybe it just needs to not be so prominent?

johng

Omono
Reaction score
I love tall trees as well and I like this tree either way but I think it would be even better if it were planted in the center of the pot!
John

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I agree that it looks good both ways, though I think I slightly prefer the new front. I look forward to seeing the future evolution of the foliage masses.

Chris

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Wow. Thanks everyone.. About 50/50 here. A good Bunjin should create feelings and opinions. One thing this tree has always done was get people involved and get them to feel something. There is no right or wrong.

I should mention that the before pic in the initial comparison pic is more than a couple years old. I believe that the tree started to outgrow that look. It was starting to take on a different, silhouette. This new view seems to naturally pull everything back to a better scale. Both are good fronts. though. Here is a more recent comparison pic. Notice there is a different look. Although the photo is not that great. I think you can see that there was some difference in the look now compared to a a few years back. I am not sure the look was improving over time.

Hi xray360.. The jin work was done years ago. I have not re evaluated it since. I will take a look at what you suggested

Hi johng.. Yes, as noted, unfortunately, I found this front about 1 month after I repotted it this season. On the next repot, the tree will be planted in the middle of the pot.

Here is the more recent comparison.

Rob

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Update. Gave this tree a trim. It looks much more full in the pics than it does in person. It is a tall tree, so getting an accurate proportion pic can be difficult, even from far away. It is wired to the pot underneath for stability. This tree blows over quite easily.

Rob

Last edited:

agraham

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks great either way, but, just my opinion for what it's worth...I liked the original front the best. The apex moving to the right counterbalanced the lower branch to the left. It was dynamic while still balanced. As it is now, the tree appears "settled". Perhaps "settled", for want of a better word, is what you wish to portray.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Looks great either way, but, just my opinion for what it's worth...I liked the original front the best. The apex moving to the right counterbalanced the lower branch to the left. It was dynamic while still balanced. As it is now, the tree appears "settled". Perhaps "settled", for want of a better word, is what you wish to portray.

Ya, opinions, others and even my own, have always been divided regarding this tree. I do like the newer front probably a little more than the old. However, not by much. The new front portrays a more balanced tree. The old front is unique and a little more wild. The good thing is that I can use either front with little or no extra pruning and wiring. Just a slight turn of the pot.

Rob

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I find it crazy to think its only 2.5 feet high. It looks 6 feet tall to me.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Those jins are sooo lovely. I like the new angle, I like the old angle. Best of both worlds.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Well I think the best trees have more than one "front"- IOW they look good from most any angle! This must be on track to be that type of tree.... FWIW, I like the second angle a little better.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I like enjoy this viewing this juniper. What you've done for it creates a pleasant peaceful feeling. What type of juniper is it? I've read back, but did not see what type of juniper it is.

Top Bottom