Updated procumbens

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hello all. Started doing some mid season work over the weekend..I usually prune all my trees in late winter/early spring, then, let them grow wild for 3-4 months or so to gain strength. This is an update on my procumbens. It was wired, pruned and allowed to bush out over the last 3-4 months, then pruned again. The pads are forming nicely on this tree. I was able to get some pretty good workable secondary branches after the last few months of just letting it grow.

Rob

Pic 1 is before pruning.....

Attachments

• pictures2 059.jpg
    pictures2 059.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 113
  • pictures2 023.jpg
    pictures2 023.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 109
  • pictures2 018.jpg
    pictures2 018.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 96
  • pictures2 040.jpg
    pictures2 040.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 99
  • pictures2 014.jpg
    pictures2 014.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 142
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is looking nice, good work.

You left the uppermost foliage quite full in contrast to the other foliage, what is the reasoning behind this?

Will

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hello Will...good eye as far as noticing the apex...Well, the story is a bit long, but I will condence it. Upon the initial styling styling of the tree almost a year and a half ago. I original selected what is now that back as the front. There was a beautiful apex in there,,,(the rough stock) However, upon the suggestions of a couple of other bonsai artists and some consideration..I realized that the other side was the best front due to the nebari and trunk.. So, the tree not really styled yet, took on it's new front with the nicer nebari... The tree had sort of lost it's nice apex..so to speak...However, I have worked with this one to get is to mimic the other side..However,....The apex you see now is kind of false.. It is made up of many sub branches. I did thin it a bit in the interior, but the way the tree is structure..any thinner would have meant chunks of it missing...

Basically, the entire tree is structured very well in the interior,.It's just the apex that is not as uniform in the interior as I would like. So it is more of an illusion apex. It's odd, there is really no middle of it. Its almost like the sides have grown inwards and created this look, even without much help from me...unfortunately. I supposes that I could do some major work in there. Normally, I am patient.. but I think that if I try to completely restructure it, it may not have this nice of an apex.. Structurally, the tree will be almost complete in about 5 years...

My options are still open, if I do decide to get into that apex, It is not too late...I have left enough so that it is possible to do something else with it in the future.

Rob

Rob

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Rob,

Thanks, after seeing the detail on everything else, I knew there was a reason lurking behind that foliage. Again, excellent progress in a short time, keep us updated.

Will

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thank you for the encouraging words everyone

Hello Rick..... The height of the tree from the soil like is about 11-12 inches...

Here is a pic of the base with a small shari I carved about 2 months ago...Please ignore all the wire cutting...lol... I haven't cleaned off the top soil yet..

Rob

Attachments

• pictures2 026.jpg
    pictures2 026.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 49
Top Bottom