Updated rain barrel and hose.

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thought I would share a picture of the new rain barrels and hose real. I had one 30 gallon barrel before. These are 55 gallons.

I used a regular garden hose and would unroll and re roll back on the wall. Put one of these auto reals up in the back and ended up mounting one by the barrels and in front by the garage. They work great. Using quick connectors so I can change out the head easy. Hose is 65 feet.
20180324_172053.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Do you pressurize the water when you water your trees? I’ve always wanted to set one up but haven’t done much research.

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Do you pressurize the water when you water your trees? I’ve always wanted to set one up but haven’t done much research.
I combine using a watering jug and also the hose to blast the bugs off. Also if i'm feeling lazy I just grab the hose. Mainly use the rain water for the flowering/fruiting trees and when mixing fertilizers.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I blew a barrel out in winter. Oops!

4-1=3

Sorce

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Ah, so you don't hook up your hose to the barrels. I've always wanted to figure out a pumping system direct from my rain barrels. One thing I've found works great is to build a (strong) riser to put your barrels up on, gives you storage room under them, for watering cans and whatnot, and it puts the outlet higher and more convenient to get the water out.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Ah, so you don't hook up your hose to the barrels. I've always wanted to figure out a pumping system direct from my rain barrels. One thing I've found works great is to build a (strong) riser to put your barrels up on, gives you storage room under them, for watering cans and whatnot, and it puts the outlet higher and more convenient to get the water out.
Drop a sump pump with a built in on-off switch in the barrel and you have a way to pump the water out your hose. There are more sophisticated devices as well—search Amazon for rain barrel pump, you’ll get tons of them.

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A couple of years ago I bought the pumps to be able to have good pressure from the barrel. Just never got around to doing it.
We have rain in the forecast and looking forward to the 2nd barrel to fill. The last rain just filled the first barrel. I forgot to knock out the holes for the overflow hose :eek: I wondered how it stopped raining just when my first barrel was full.

Top Bottom