LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Super busy, but had to take a second to say you picked up an awesome tree!!
Next repot? I think you know what to do with the base of this thing.....:D:eek::eek:
If it don't look good now, cut it off. In my experience, they will fill a container pretty quick.
Then I promptly kill them in the winter:rolleyes:

Hehehee....really sweet, Colin, awesome score!!!

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Please try to grow that root cutting! :D
Hey Colin......So....what did you do with the cut off major root....with all those roots?
Cheers G.
My understanding is that tridents aren't good for root cuttings. They're not exactly big on adventitious buds.

I did toss the big chunk in the bucket of leftover soil temporarily, but I don't think I'll try and pot it up. I think I would have to graft to it to get anything going, and it isn't particularly attractive to be worth a lot of effort.
Maybe if I don't use the new seedings for root grafts, or I have a couple left over I'll experiment, but it's a low priority.

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Nothing ventured, nothing gained....seek perfection within its imperfections.....you are young....it might surprise U.......starting to sound like @source lol.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Trident roots do not grow like elms. The do not bud from cambium like elms, but from node rings on branches and trunks.

Nice tree. Lots of movement. Don't be in a hurry to get the base all done in one go. Just stick with it year after year and it will develop. I repotted a lot of large tridents today and left lots of stuff to do next year. I'm in no hurry.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
My understanding is that tridents aren't good for root cuttings. They're not exactly big on adventitious buds.

I did toss the big chunk in the bucket of leftover soil temporarily, but I don't think I'll try and pot it up. I think I would have to graft to it to get anything going, and it isn't particularly attractive to be worth a lot of effort.
Maybe if I don't use the new seedings for root grafts, or I have a couple left over I'll experiment, but it's a low priority.
You are correct, Maples will not grow from root cuttings on their own and I grew there is nothing there worth pursuing in the large chunk of root you removed.

Great new tree man! I saw Smoke mention something about the tree you got a great deal on his thread, I assume this is the one?

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Update time! I just realized I never posted pics after I cut it back hard last year; oh well, it needs to be cut even harder, but first things first . . .

510728968.417427public.jpeg

This is how it started the day today (well, I already dumped the top layer of substrate off in this pic).

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I also switched pots. I had this big-ol' glazed oval hanging around, and the extra space was perfect for spreading everything out:

510730689.214776public.jpeg

Way too big in the long run, but fine as a training pot - it's going to take a few years to address the rest of the flaws anyway . . .

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice...

How do you go about weaning those thread grafts down?

I am thirsty!

Sorce

Top Bottom