Reaction score
USDA Zone
Has anyone figured out how to do this?

evmibo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I send them to my email, from there I save them on my computer. When you're trying to post them, just upload them here on the attachments section below.

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I know how to do that but it would be so much easier to upload from iPad.......

Reaction score
I've tried several times to upload from a smartphone, which is my only internet source right now. It must be an issue with this site lacking mobile features. The only way it will ever work is if whoever works in the site administration incorporates mobile pic uploading features... I guess anyway : ) I went to college for a short time for web design, but didn't do much at all in mobile applications, so I'm not exactly sure of why it doesn't work.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I upload to the Photobucket app, then just copy and paste them into the thread.

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Has anyone figured out how to do this?
can you post the error if you receive one? or go into more detail about what is not working ?

iDevices (iphone ipad) don't support Flash (never have ... never will) vBulletin uses the yui (Yahoo UI) library for some of its controls (not sure about the uploads) this may use a flash uploader (its pretty much the only way to allow uploading multiple file streams) .... so my first guess is that its ur device being a flash hater ...

try using the "basic upload option" ... this does not mean that Safari supports allowing access to the file system (why would you want to access your own files? [rhetorical]) ...
if that doesn't work..... get all "Appy" with it and try using the photobucket app or similar....

as I understand it there are some apps that can display some flash on.... however I believe the intent is not to be useful for things like this.

HTML5++
[yes I am a professional web developer (I build the software that runs websites)]

evolve

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
There is a solution... don't use Safari on iOS. Unfortunately it does not support file uploads via a standard file input control or Flash, as mentioned. What Apple was thinking not supporting such basic functionality is beyond me -- my only guess is that they want to force people to build and use native apps. The good news is that there are other browsers for iOS that support file upload. Check out Opera, http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/opera-mini-web-browser/id363729560?mt=8. I haven't used it much, feels a little slow, but it does indeed support file upload. There are some other workarounds as well...

You can use another app (as mentioned) and then cut and paste the URL, or you can jailbreak your device and install a utility that resolves the Safari limitiations (http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=16333). Some options that require modification on the bonsainut.com end: The vBulletin mobile package could be used to deliver a native iOS app. Or something like http://picupapp.com/ or http://code.google.com/p/iphone-photo-picker/ could be used, which would require modifications to the vBulletin upload code as well as require the user to have the app installed. Another possible solution would be to add support for emailing post content where you could probably include an image with the email. There are vBulletin plugins that do this sort of thing, although I've never used them and can't say how well they work or if they support images.

Probably easier just to ditch Safari and use another browser.

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Probably easier just to ditch Safari and use another browser.
its not just that Safari doesn't support Flash ... iOS doesn't support flash... all other alternatives including other browsers are transcoders .... essentially they make it look like flash is supported but instead transmit a separate supported stream instead... in either case its not actually flash ...

either way... just use a photo management application instead... you will find your experience much better and the assets easier to use...

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
It must be an issue with this site lacking mobile features. The only way it will ever work is if whoever works in the site administration incorporates mobile pic uploading features... I guess anyway : )

I have some ideas, but let me look into this. I can almost guarantee you it has to do with the data handshake between mobile and PC platforms - and the issue is NOT on the PC side :) Almost universally, mobile networks are closed (or use proprietary data protocols) because... wait for it... there's more MONEY in it for them :) Regardless, I can do anything with a computer given enough time and money :)

[EDIT] Ok, I'm officially lazy. Give me a day or two and I will enable a new mobile suite for the site that should add a lot of nice mobile functionality (including photo uploads). Sadly, right now I am drinking beer and don't have the technical momentum to pull it off :) [/EDIT]

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Forgive me ,but I don't understand what the problem is.I have iphone 3GS with icloud and all I got to do is walk in my wi-fi and then my phone pictures are on my computer.It's called photostream.All I use icloud for is the music and photostream.Then you just upload them to your post.Again,forgive me, I can be computer challenged.
EDIT:eek:h I have never tried it directly from my phone.Only laptop.

Last edited:

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
IMAG0149.jpg

To prove my point I just uploaded this from my phone .... Using flash ... Because Android supports flash

evolve

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
its not just that Safari doesn't support Flash ... iOS doesn't support flash...

You're absolutely right, there is no true Flash Player for iOS. Flash based file uploaders simply will not work. But Safari on iOS also does not support even a simple HTML based file uploader as it doesn't support the HTML input tag with type file... <input type="file" .../>. Opera on iOS does however support HTML based file uploads. I don't think vBulletin uses Flash for file uploads so Opera on iOS should work for uploading images. I haven't tried it so I can't confirm, maybe I'll give a shot in another post.

It must be an issue with this site lacking mobile features.

On iOS and Safari it's not a problem with the site, it's a problem with the browser. Unless you jailbreak your device or Apple provides an update to support HTML based file uploads it's never going to work in Safari. Android as far as I know will support both HTML and Flash based file uploaders. As stated, Opera will work with HTML based file uploaders in iOS.

then my phone pictures are on my computer

The desire is to upload directly from the device.

I have some ideas, but let me look into this.

Bonsai Nut, vBulletin offers a mobile version of their platform, but it won't enable file upload functionality for Safari on iOS. What it does is provide a framework for publishing the forums through a native iOS application. Which will require an Apple Developer account in order to publish the app to the app store (iTunes). There are some other solutions as I mentioned in my other post. Overall though, trying to implement a clean solution for file upload for Safari on iOS is pretty much a crapshoot. There's really no clean solution that I'm aware of.

(in case it's important... I've been programming for iOS for a couple of years now, both native Objective-C apps and web apps. Been programming for the web for 15+ years)

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have some ideas, but let me look into this. I can almost guarantee you it has to do with the data handshake between mobile and PC platforms - and the issue is NOT on the PC side :) Almost universally, mobile networks are closed (or use proprietary data protocols) because... wait for it... there's more MONEY in it for them :)
None of that makes a bit of sense...

so again... let me be VERY VERY clear ... it has nothing to do with being a mobile device and everything to do with supporting flash ...

@cmeg1 .... the issue is that the OP can't directly upload from said device .... your computer which is internet connected is syncing with an internet connected server to download the files locally (if you have ever used dropbox its the same idea) .... your computer then uploads them using the flash uploader because flash is supported on OSX ....

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
You're absolutely right, there is no true Flash Player for iOS. Flash based file uploaders simply will not work. But Safari on iOS also does not support even a simple HTML based file uploader as it doesn't support the HTML input tag with type file... <input type="file" .../>. Opera on iOS does however support HTML based file uploads. I don't think vBulletin uses Flash for file uploads so Opera on iOS should work for uploading images. I haven't tried it so I can't confirm, maybe I'll give a shot in another post.

the default multi file uploader ... uses flash... to get a standard file input you need to use the "Basic Uploader" which is linked in the bottom right hand of the dialog ..... however i don't think most people even notice it ...

regardless ... as for using Opera over Safari.... well yeah Opera is a better browser anyway ...

(in case it's important... I've been programming for iOS for a couple of years now, both native Objective-C apps and web apps. Been programming for the web for 15+ years)

no iOS dev as I am no longer an AAPL fanboi .... but been a web developer and professional software engineer for about 15+yrs as well (in multiple languages etc..) .... in case it matters ...

I'm not gunna get into a technical wang waving contest with anyone... that's a waste of time ...

Last edited:

evolve

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I'm not gunna get into a technical wang waving contest with anyone... that's a waste of time ...

lol, sorry, that wasn't my intention, just didn't want anyone to think I was blowing smoke.

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
lol, sorry, that wasn't my intention, just didn't want anyone to think I was blowing smoke.

No worries .... your creds were in ur post (obvious knowledge of how the web works) .... and accurate in regards to iOS as far as I know ... so no worries ...

evolve

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I tried Opera from my iPhone. I was able to select an image from my photos but I had problems because the size was too big. So I resized an image on my laptop, which completely defeats the purpose but I wanted to try anyway, and gave it a shot. It acted like it was uploading, but in the end didn't want to work. Oh well, there goes my simple solution.

Top Bottom