Uprooted juniper

Rid

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
My cat partially uprooted my juniper, was leaning at a 45 degree angle this morning. I staked it upright and watered the foliage. Should I also move it to the shade? Is cayenne pepper the best deterrent in the future?

Mike Hennigan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Maybe your cat just thought it would look better in a slant style? ?. I doubt cayenne pepper would deter your cat from rubbing up on the tree. My main question is, did you have the tree wired into the pot securely? I couldn’t see that happening if you had the tree wired in well. Unless you have a very large cat. I think giving it some shade would help with recovery for sure.

Rid

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Maybe your cat just thought it would look better in a slant style? ?. I doubt cayenne pepper would deter your cat from rubbing up on the tree. My main question is, did you have the tree wired into the pot securely? I couldn’t see that happening if you had the tree wired in well. Unless you have a very large cat. I think giving it some shade would help with recovery for sure.

Thanks. It isn’t wired in. I bought it from a bonsai widow, so I don’t really know how healthy the roots are (foliage has been vigorously growing all summer) I was waiting until next spring to to a half bare root report into good soil, as I bought it after potting season.

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
Hey Rid, securing your trees in the pots is one of the most important things to do with all tree. In the current situation, I would suggest putting a wire under the bottom of the pot and over the top of the tree so that it does not move. If the tree/roots move in the pot, it will keep them from continuing to grow. Best of luck!

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Lost my shimpaku juniper. Wired into pot. Bird built a nest in a bonsai next to the tree. Tipping it. Substrate fell out...leaving roots exposed to the afternoon sun. Juniper hold their color for months. But it's slowly fading. I keep watering it just in case something still has life. No fault to my abilities...but I have less desire adding another. When they take so long to show death. Hope your tree survive the ordeal.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
securing your trees in the pots is one of the most important things to do with all tree
Agreed...the one and only tree I didn't have wired in, had an accident, and is now dead. ?
Whenever I think of this topic, I think of Nigel Saunders' youtube videos...he is oppeses to wiring trees into the pots.
I think his reason is to avoid marking the roots....and to be cheap and not use wire...he doesnt wire his screens in either.

Mike Hennigan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Agreed...the one and only tree I didn't have wired in, had an accident, and is now dead. ?
Whenever I think of this topic, I think of Nigel Saunders' youtube videos...he is oppeses to wiring trees into the pots.
I think his reason is to avoid marking the roots....and to be cheap and not use wire...he doesnt wire his screens in either.

I enjoy Nigel and his videos, but kind of have to say that his trees do show for his lack of attention to technique and detail. He has fun videos and lots of passion but nobody should be looking to him as a bonsai role model to say the least.

Mike Hennigan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have two cats myself. I understand the cat struggle. Lol, I will catch them trying to rub they’re faces on or chew on leaves of newly collected trees and it really stresses me out but they haven’t killed anything yet. They do a good job of keeping the squirrels at bay though, so i’d say it’s a fair trade off.

Reactions: Rid

Rid

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I have two cats myself. I understand the cat struggle. Lol, I will catch them trying to rub they’re faces on or chew on leaves of newly collected trees and it really stresses me out but they haven’t killed anything yet. They do a good job of keeping the squirrels at bay though, so i’d say it’s a fair trade off.

Yeah I agreed to another pet because I wanted help with pest control, but she’s a kitten and is climbing on everything

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Nigel also has a greenhouse, so he can easily protect his trees from the ravages of wind and critters.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I enjoy Nigel and his videos, but kind of have to say that his trees do show for his lack of attention to technique and detail. He has fun videos and lots of passion but nobody should be looking to him as a bonsai role model to say the least.
Yeah, I love his videos too.
I appreciate his individuality and uniqueness.
He's not afraid to go his own way.

Rid

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I also just got a kitten...you got me thinking now....
i'll let you know how my cayenne pepper experiment goes. i was out staking the juniper this morning, and she straight up jumped and clung to the side of my new giant bald cypress stump. back to the basement she went. I also have an explanation now about several broken branches on my hawthorn.

Mike Hennigan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I suppose one way you can kind of train them is to keep a spray bottle of water out by your trees and anytime you see the cat trying to screw with the tree just spray some water on them. My cats know what the spray bottle is now so if I do have to take it out they usually bugger off before I even have to spray them with it.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I suppose one way you can kind of train them is to keep a spray bottle of water out by your trees and anytime you see the cat trying to screw with the tree just spray some water on them. My cats know what the spray bottle is now so if I do have to take it out they usually bugger off before I even have to spray them with it.
That's a good move there!
Just cant mix up spray bottles....
Kitty doesn't need hydrogen peroxide or daconil...

Rid

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I also just got a kitten...you got me thinking now....
Ok, the water bottle worked biggly. i probably only squirted her 7 or 8 times until she got the point. I sprayed her only when she started batting at the branches (water only). she still hangs out with the trees, but leaves them alone now.

Top Bottom