Uprooted question.

GOZTEK

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi all, this morning i went to buy some food stuff and there is a park near this shop where lots and lots of trees where uprooted, most probably to fix the park and make new trees or whatever. There were some great trees and i managed to take one home, my question is this for how long will a tree live if uprooted? I think these trees where uprooted on friday and i wanted to know if my struggles to take it home and pot it are worth it. Will it live?

Klytus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
The Maltese get no love!

If Malta was somehow an island off Florida it would capture the imagination,Malta is like the Guns of Navarone or something.

Maybe a picture would help?

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
depends on what kind of tree. what species are they ?

...and how much of the root system is left...ripping trees out of the ground is not kind to the small feeder roots. On a positive note, this is pobably a good time of year to tranplant trees in your location (I think).

Dave

GOZTEK

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
ok went down took some pictures and here is a breafing of the comments.

1. I don't really know what the tree name is i will try to get a name this week although i took a picture of a leaf that still hangs maybe some of you can think of a name.
2. The root system: The root system had 3 about 1" thick going down even though they where broken when i saw it but has lots and lots of smallroots come out especially from 1 side and they are not long so most of them i didn't have to cut them to put them in the pot. So from all the trees i dug up i beleive this one has alot of roots.
3. Its not an ever green tree maybe that is why it had few leaves, some of the branches are dead (where cut long time ago) so basically what i am going to do is find which ones are dead and which ones are alives and see what i can do about rotting etc.
4. Our repotting season starts in december so we are not far away, even though some of my trees are still growing due to winter is coming late still around 20degrees celcius around here. So i hope i have some chances here aswell.

Lets wait and see :)

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 28
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 28
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 28
  • 4.jpg