Upside down corkscrew willows

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Since I have way too many corkscrew willows and I like to tinker. I’ve planted a couple of these guys upside down to promote upward growth so when the tree is flipped over it will be weeping. I tried it last year with a small cutting so I’m thinking it could work, but who knows. I guess I’ll find out and post results here.
This is the first victim.
45E78A2D-3558-4773-9593-FE0E133F17F4.jpeg
After 7 days the shoots are turned upward
5013F29D-661A-4214-9E6B-52CEC5FFE145.jpeg
I’ve got a couple more to plant this way. More the merrier.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
(just remember.. roots don't prefer to go upwards, so you could leave a cushion or buffer zone of soil, so the roots have a way they will enjoy growing ... ORRR do one REALLY wide and flat... Don't give the roots a choice! 🤣)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I really like these since I have a large one in the front yard so I have an unlimited supply of material. I can also water the hell out of them and do ridiculous amount of root work every year. One tree I repotted 3 times last year. Pot too small, roots grow too fast.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
IMG_0033.jpeg
Got long so I trimmed it.
IMG_0034.jpeg
Hopefully get more ramification, then have to decide when to flip it into another pot for the winter. I did that too early last year, September I think. It grew 5” more but straight up. I’m thinking October, but I’ll do it when it feels right.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
This one has a friend, but I started it 2 weeks later.
Tree lesson 753: if you’re going to plant it upside down, do it before you have too much upward growth. Otherwise you get dumb loops at the base of the growth.
Oh well, next year. Lol

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Alrighty!!! So I died and came back to life, kind of like a lot of my trees. Hahahahahaha
Anyway, now that I’m back, update on these things. Didn’t flip them until almost December last year, they just kept pushing growth. Here they are today, thought about doing the flip today, but they were frozen in the pots.IMG_1521.jpegIMG_1520.jpeg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you ever grow corkscrew willow, just a warning. If you are trying to thicken a lower branch, you must do it slowly. If you let it run too long, the tree will kill everything above that limb. Just an fyi, lots of mine did that this past year.

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I tried something similar but, your's look great. Good job.

1709822315815.png

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I tried something similar but, your's look great. Good job.

View attachment 532309
Thank you, I’m liking the thickness of yours. I’m currently trying to workout how to suspend a 6” thick cutting I made last year. There’s a lot of weight hanging completely upside down with that one. Won’t be able to do it the same way. I’ll post pics once I get it worked out.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
So here’s a bigger one, not the biggest but a start. A little wiring to get the branches headed the right way and then growth will always go up.

Attachments

• IMG_1557.jpeg
    IMG_1557.jpeg
    358.1 KB · Views: 18
Top Bottom