Urban/Budget Bonsai Thread?

Tmcd009

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hi all, I was just thinking...maybe it would be a good idea to start a thread for people with limited space and/or budget! Post how-tos for DIY small benches and pots, plus other good sources for getting started with a limited space, as well as limited bonsai related resources nearby. I have a decent amount of tools, but could make guides/plans for projects with no more than a cheap electric drill and hand saw etc etc. Or anyone else could add whatever resources they find, or maybe even some inspiration material from other urban spaces! I started out exclusively on a small apartment balcony, and I have started taking over my folks' yard as well. I don't think anyone should be discouraged by a small space or limited resources. You can make your space great, no matter where you are. Of course, not everything posted has to be limited to small scale/beginner projects because I'm sure there are plenty of people with some awesome ideas that can be implemented beyond the urban scene. Anyways, just a thought! Let me know what you guys think!

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm excited to see what pops up here. Despite budget, I think out biggest challenge would be to get thicker trunks since we don't have yards to plant our trees in. Let's see what shortcuts some people have found.

miker

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I'm in! I currently have plenty of space, but an extremely limited budget. For me, this means, at this time, I am:

- enjoying taking proper care of the trees I already have, and glad that I selected a few pieces of good material (among many other so-so trees and sticks in pots) when I was able to
- will be adding to my collection this spring and summer by (legally) collecting local tree seedling/sapling volunteers to grow out for future projects
- saving 2/3 on the cost of fertilizer by purchasing it at the local discount store, Ollie's
- eternally grateful that I spent the money in 2009 on a higher end basic (7 piece) set of stainless tools that should last a lifetime, with proper care
- learning an enormous amount about all aspects of this great hobby on bonsainut

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think the most important thing is training oneself to repurpose anything.

Then you have to put yourself in a place to find things.
(I always walk down the alley)

I found a discarded white plastic shower liner last year, half of it became my wind block for winter, the other half is behind my tropicals to protect the wall from water, and reflect light better.

More free stuff.
https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/0-00-bench.23893/

https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/i-dont-know-what-this-was.24075/

A similar thread.
https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/apartment-bonsai.20159/

The Best pots ever known to bonsai man.
https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/those-pot-materials.18202/

The way to get bigger trunks.
https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/radialayer™-a-season-saver.17046/
Of course you would have to use it on big trunks!

Free all Day!

Sorce

pitchpine

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Just a little thing, but I have found that a metal dental pick or scraper like these IMG_20170411_114841.jpg makes a great tool for detailed root work!

Also, for those who make their own soil mix, there are economical alternatives to more expensive soil sifter sets. Metal mesh strainers are great for screening out the fines, and a cheap plastic colander is good for removing the too large particles. Get a big plastic bowl to sift into, and you're good to go!

Laura

Last edited:

Tmcd009

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Loving the input so far! I thought I'd add that even if you don't have much space or a large budget, carving is a great skill to practice and there are plenty of cheaper yet great tools out there! You don't even have to practice on live trees. Just find a fresh fallen branch (or the top of a collected oak from a swamp, in my case) or even a piece of 2x4. Heck just practice carving in general; I've been carving little Buddha statues lately and putting my trees under the knife if far less intimating now that I don't suck so bad haha. Anyways, amazon has tons of great tools ranging from dirt cheap to top grade; I took some screenshots of some good starting tools. (If you can, I would go for Dremel brand, they have been around forever and are really good IMO.) I know this stuff inst free, but it is definitely a skill you can practice with cheaper tools and limited space.

Attachments

• IMG_0148.PNG
    IMG_0148.PNG
    148.3 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0149.PNG
    IMG_0149.PNG
    79.5 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_4171.JPG
    IMG_4171.JPG
    483.7 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_4181.JPG
    IMG_4181.JPG
    246.1 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_4220.JPG
    IMG_4220.JPG
    160.6 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_4221.JPG
    IMG_4221.JPG
    213.2 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_4265.JPG
    IMG_4265.JPG
    186.6 KB · Views: 45

miker

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Here is a question on a related note. I acquired this lovely large Japanese maple this past August and was told it had been a few years since it had last been repotted. The tree is leafing out beautifully but now (as in the next couple weeks) is the time to repot and I don't have the funds at the moment to purchase all of the bonsai mix to repot it right now.

So, either I will just wait until next year, as it appears it can wait one more year, though I am sure repotting this year would make for a more vigorous tree.

Or, I can use the akadama in a 2 gallon pot that is holding a dead Nyssa sylvatica(received in January while dormant but the roots looked bad and I didn't see any dormant buds, thus I kinda figured it was a goner) and comb, prune and sift the existing substrate of my JM to be repotted. I will save the inorganic substrate from the rootball, combine it with the akadama from the other pot and hope I have enough to perform the repot. If not, I can go purchase some vermiculite, perlite and garden soil, mix all of it together and hopefully then have enough volume of soil.

Have not decided what to do yet.

20170415_140557.jpg

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I love the idea of only having a balcony to do bonsai on. I have a very small yard so I am grateful but I love the idea of designing and utilizing every squre inch of a space

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mame'----------- 1" of trunk = 6 inches of height or width.
Ours take full sun and breeze and use a normal soil mix or 3 mm inorganic plus sifted aged compost.
Watering - 1 evening, 2 times morning
And that handles the lack of space nicely.
Good Day
Anthony

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
IMG_3693.JPG IMG_3694.JPG IMG_4521.JPG
my stuff is all built from reclaimed deck parts. Whatever worked. 2x4s, 4x4s. As long as it is sturdy and doesnt offend the senses, it's great. I like how mine are all flexible in terms of how many slats are needed for each tree. I can custom space trees, or spread em out as far as I want. I dont know if I'll ever build benches out of exotic lumber or not. My guess is no.

Tmcd009

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Fiancée's father was renovating his house and had some scrap wood and molding, so I made a mold for a concrete pot. It's finished and been in a photo I posted before. I purposefully didn't vibrate any bubbles out because I wanted the pot to look rough and weathered, to go with the theme of the planting. But some lessons learned: it works but next time I might use the crack resistant (or quick setting) quikrete, and use more mold realase than you think you'll need. I actually used non stick spray (pam) for this and it worked good for me. Bag of quikrete cost $3ish and I used half for a medium sized pot and a small pot. So, $1.50, sorta ugly pots. Also, be sure to wash new concrete pots and let them sit for a bit before planting, the PH of concrete is very basic at first and lime can also leech into the soil.

Attachments

• IMG_0087.JPG
    IMG_0087.JPG
    528.4 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0090.JPG
    IMG_0090.JPG
    190.5 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0175.PNG
    IMG_0175.PNG
    314.1 KB · Views: 21
Top Bottom