Urban Pine (Stone Pine?) or What the Hell was I thinking?

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'm looking for some advice on pruning back a collected urban pine to balance the top with the remaining roots (and make it not so top heavy).

A friend had a "6-inch" diameter pine in a container growing on a concrete slab that they had to get rid of, so I offered to take it. The diameter is in quotes because what I found was actually a 10" diameter trunk that was about 12' tall. The roots had escaped the pot and found the ground about 4' away in a gap in the slab.

Unfortunately, the tree had already been disturbed when I arrived and most of the feeder roots outside the container (growing under a tangle of succulents) had been removed.

The main escaped root was about 6"D and pushed up a giant stone block that it was growing under on its way to the ground!

It doesn't have much bonsai potential. But since I was already there, I couldn't back out and had to take it home.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    503 KB · Views: 181
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    434.6 KB · Views: 181

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I was told by a horticulturist friend that it is an Italian Stone Pine, which appears likely from image comparisons. It has 2 needles per fasicles that are 4-5" long and some single needle juvenile growth. It was bought way-back-when as a small container Christmas tree here in SoCal.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    371.3 KB · Views: 162
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    368.6 KB · Views: 157
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    300.6 KB · Views: 156
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    308 KB · Views: 162

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It was too late tonight, but I plan on building a box for it tomorrow and pot it up with a mostly pumice mix. I don't want to disturb any fine roots in the container, but I believe I need to remove the container sides and gently comb some of the roots out into the new mix.

1. Does anyone have an alternate ID besides Pinus pinea?

Would you reduce the top and if so, how drastic? (I'm in SoCal, where this thing should grow year round) I was also told to let it dieback naturally. But it's pretty top heavy and an actual safety issue right now!

I'm thinking of chopping on the red or blue line. I'm guessing that given the lack of root mass, this thing has a 10% chance of survival.

Any other advice is appreciated (unless it is, stop taking trees sight unseen. I got that now!)

Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    325.5 KB · Views: 160
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    305.6 KB · Views: 158
  • image.png
    image.png
    837.3 KB · Views: 173

Nwaite

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
No advice from me ..... but good luck.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
ID - is there any juvenile foliage? No pics. From the pics provided I can see only new foliage, not juvenile.

As for the size reduction, I would follow the yellow lines, jin the portion of the right subtrunk. But slowly, not to remove more than 30-50% of foliage in one season. Looks like a big piece of tree, lot of fun.
downloadfile.jpg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Crazy strikes again!

I got a good feeling about it surviving.

Sorce

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Juvenile foliage and more pics in daylight. There is not much juvenile growth, only on lower branches that were getting shaded out.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    208 KB · Views: 145
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    184.7 KB · Views: 143
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    200.8 KB · Views: 142
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    398.6 KB · Views: 145
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    463.9 KB · Views: 143
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    470.8 KB · Views: 143

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It really looks like one of those Mediterranean pines, hard to say which one. The juvenile needles of my P. pinea are more blueish...

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Halepensis maybe?
I agree the young growth is not blue enough, plus it looks a touch weepy for Pinea.

The neighbour just had two large Pinea trees removed yesterday so my immediate reference has gone.

RickMartin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Looks like my aleppo pine. They are alot of fun. I wouldnt make that big of a chop in one season. Be patient..you can get it down there and if its a aleppo it will back bud like crazy.

Rick

Saizan

Yamadori
Reaction score
Seems more a P. pinea than a P. halepensis. Stone pine has red bark, hard needles of deep green and more erected grown, and aleppo pine has more white bark, flexible and thin needles of more light green, growing more like a bush.

In the above paragraph I'm always talking of nature specimens in the mediterranean coast (so if is another species my diagnosis is wrong). If I have some time I'll manage to take some pictures to ilustrate, but IMO, no doubts about P. pinea.

Last edited:

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks for the replies and info. I don't have high hopes for the tree as a bonsai, but it will be fun to see if it survives. I had to build the box around it and the damn thing held almost 8 cu. ft of mix.
image.jpeg

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Part of me is slightly relieved that this guy didn't survive. Has I been there to save the feeder roots it would have at least had a fighting chance.

So, cut a tree, plant a tree! Lol

IMG_2450.JPG

iant

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Yes you're better off! The mature stone pines that I see growing 40+ feet high with 5 foot trunks only barely look in proportion to needle length! Even from a distance you can still see the long needles.
Good luck with the new project!
Ian

Rusty Davis

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
What is the plant with spikes on it in the Sept 12 pic?

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Floss Silk Tree (Ceiba speciosa), it was my wife's balcony tree. They are large landscape trees around here that get large pink or white flowers.

IMG_4497.JPG

Top Bottom