Urban Yamadori Clump Style Yaupon Holly

Jmontee

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In early August 2021 I was driving down the street and saw the county (Miami-Dade) removing a bunch of yaupon hollies from a median. I quickly dropped my son off at his aunt's, turned around, grabbed a large plastic bag and returned to the scene!

I asked the guys if I could take one or two (I only took one cause I didn't have room for more) and they said sure. The guy on the front loader quickly pulled 5 or 6 trees (in like 10 seconds) and dropped them in front of me. I quickly picked the one I thought was the best, bagged it and went home.

I root pruned, selected branches and did the initial wiring. There were so many roots that I figured it would be.no problem to remove at least 60% and then put it in a make shift pot that I made from Home Depot. I let it grow for a few months without touching it and then I started making some more detail choices. Here are some pics of the process.

IMG_20210804_231629_609.jpgIMG_20210804_231629_618.jpgIMG_20210804_231629_664.jpgIMG_20210804_231629_675.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I like the base! Looks like a good grab.

I keep a basic collection kit in my car, for opportunities like this.
Good luck

Jmontee

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So I have been looking at this tree a lot lately and I think I may need to shorten it up a bit. It is probably about 3 to 4 inches at the nebari but I think it still too tall. Any thoughts and advice would be welcome.

Thank you in advance!

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes, I would take it down by half at least. Also, in general the thinner trunks should be shorter than the thicker ones.

Top Bottom