Urban Yamadori Cotoneaster Emergency dig timing?

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’ve been eyeing these Rockspray cotoneaster for years. They are in a “landscaped” section of a KMart parking lot. Well Kmart closed several years ago now and A new development is taking place on the site and I found out my sons friends dad is on the architecture team working out the design. I contacted him and he said I could dig them up as they will be completely starting from scratch on all of the hard and soft scape surfaces. They will start demo as soon as this fall.

There at least 12 of these in varying sizes but have all been there for a t least 30 yrs. I don’t think they ever get watered, but have been on some size over the years. Some are single trunk, others are multi, all are healthy and girthy. I have a feeling the roots are a mess and are deep, but I don’t know.

I’d like to try and collect sooner than later. What do you all think the chances of survival are if I dig right now? Tips or tricks to preserving them if I dig right now? Not the ideal time, I know, but I don’t want to miss my window and have them all bulldozed.

Attachments

• F298C450-4CED-4600-9A4B-0A74E27A0686.jpeg
    F298C450-4CED-4600-9A4B-0A74E27A0686.jpeg
    363.8 KB · Views: 119
  • F5D0BC88-F7C9-4B59-A3AF-41E7FA2C7E57.jpeg
    F5D0BC88-F7C9-4B59-A3AF-41E7FA2C7E57.jpeg
    497.3 KB · Views: 114
  • 046418CF-1628-4A30-A8D3-054128F419FC.jpeg
    046418CF-1628-4A30-A8D3-054128F419FC.jpeg
    529.5 KB · Views: 109
  • 1B107EC7-A555-4779-B6BE-E142E324CC72.jpeg
    1B107EC7-A555-4779-B6BE-E142E324CC72.jpeg
    382.9 KB · Views: 108

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't think it is such a bad time, unless you can clearly see that they are pushing new growth.
I didn’t look real close at the tips so I can’t say for sure. I just know that I won’t be able to dive in for a week or two.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’m digging regardless. Has to happen. This thread is more if anyone has dug broadleaf evergreen this time of year? I’m going to get as many as I can, with as many roots as I can. I’ll prob reduce the majority if not all of the foliage on each. May bag a few to try and sweat out growth.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I've dug/barerooted cotoneaster's, azaleas, chaenomeles, procumbens junipers, mugos, roses from mid-July though the summer.

I suggest that you don't reduce the foliage. Part shade. Photosynthesis powers the recovery from the root damage.

The issue with pushing new growth is that it takes a lot of water and consumes a lot of carbohydrates while it is happening, leaving little capacity for root recovery. If it is just starting, the soft new growth will just wither, but ...

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've dug/barerooted cotoneaster's, azaleas, chaenomeles, procumbens junipers, mugos, roses from mid-July though the summer.

I suggest that you don't reduce the foliage. Part shade. Photosynthesis powers the recovery from the root damage.

The issue with pushing new growth is that it takes a lot of water and consumes a lot of carbohydrates while it is happening, leaving little capacity for root recovery. If it is just starting, the soft new growth will just wither, but ...
Very cool. Just what I need to hear. The shear size of the bushes will require some reduction unfortunately. But I will reduce as little as possible. Thanks for the thoughts Oso.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You might make sure they are well hydrated for a few days before you dig. Not long enough to stimulated new growth, but enough to get as much water in them as you can before damaging roots in the dig.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You shouldn't have a probelem. I transplanted a couple from nursery pots elimanting 80% of the roots. The one I did a few weeks ago has tons of new growth. The other I did a few days ago and it will be fine too. Both of these were pruned back severely as well. If they have new growth cut it off. I disagree with others about not removing foliage. Truth is you are removing a lot of roots and the roots that remain will not be enough to support the plant. If the plants are healthy they have enough carbs stored in the stems to push new roots and foliage with a vengeance. Prune them hard and keep the foliage misted or spayed frequently for a few weeks.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I know the theory is that leaves drive new root growth. I haven't really tried leaving lots of top on collected trees often enough to agree or disagree. I'm definitely in the reduce top camp for collected trees but that's probably just from my early training when cut back was the only option ever proposed. I've noticed that if I leave excess up top much of it dies off in the weeks after roots are cut as the roots cannot provide necessary water.
Looks like you have plenty of these available so this would be a great opportunity for a caser study. If you have the space why not try some unpruned, some 'sweated' and some cut back hard and let us all know the results.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I know the theory is that leaves drive new root growth. I haven't really tried leaving lots of top on collected trees often enough to agree or disagree. I'm definitely in the reduce top camp for collected trees but that's probably just from my early training when cut back was the only option ever proposed. I've noticed that if I leave excess up top much of it dies off in the weeks after roots are cut as the roots cannot provide necessary water.
Looks like you have plenty of these available so this would be a great opportunity for a caser study. If you have the space why not try some unpruned, some 'sweated' and some cut back hard and let us all know the results.
Hey Shibui. Thanks for commenting. I plan on digging several and I think I will do just that. Leave foliage on some and chop hard on others. And I def plan on sweating a few as I had recent success doing so with nursery material that I cut back to a stump out of season.

Gsquared

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
I’m glad to hear that summer collecting is doable. I just dug up a zelkova seedling today and was worried I had waited too long.

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
On a practical note, that looks like a lot of hard work. Maybe you should rent one of those little excavators from Home Depot. Dig around the bases, then pop them out. A couple hours work vs. a full day or two. Then spend your energy getting them situated at home.
CW

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I dug one today. Only took about 15 minutes or so. Ended up having a pretty bad termite infestation. Lots of dead rotting wood. The tree had a decent amount of feeder roots, quite a few of which were living off of the rotted out roots around them. I cleared out all of the rotted wood and termites and planted in pumice. Left quite a bit of foliage to try and push root growth. Don’t know if it’ll live or be worth the time for that matter. But I think the rest will also be easy to dig. Hoping the termites have not reached them all. 258594258595

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Also. Doesn’t seem work on this site will be taking place till next year. So I should be able to come back late spring early summer and have at it! Hopefully I’ll have more time then. 😆

Top Bottom