Urban Yamadori Maple

revolution

Seedling
Reaction score
My customer was in tree removal mood and I saved this beast of a Japanese maple from the chain saw. I did some branch removal... it will likely be a hollow trunk as its severely damaged and has healed on its best side. Its a long term deciduous project but the tree has massive root flare...taper, a first branch, second and rear branch and lots of buds at the top to generate growth for strengthening the tree again.

Attachments

• 61664B84-42BB-49BC-94E4-B96B15E5A333.jpeg
    61664B84-42BB-49BC-94E4-B96B15E5A333.jpeg
    205 KB · Views: 206
  • 865BA7C7-4175-4DA3-9A93-1FEA85F06E4D.jpeg
    865BA7C7-4175-4DA3-9A93-1FEA85F06E4D.jpeg
    223.1 KB · Views: 206

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
YouTube says you're consuming that apple wrong! Lol!

Nice trunk!

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Nice score! You can fix that damage but it will take you several years of management.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Very nice trunk line.
You can fix that damage but it will take you several years of management.
Yes, but it's on its way: if properly cultivated, 4-5 years and it will heal. If you take the other side as the front, it will go unnoticed meanwhile.

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
I love a bit of deadwood, our British trees are full of it, but you’d have to do a lot of further carving to make it look natural IMO. To me the point of deadwood, in general, is disguising wounds which cannot easily be healed. As Alain said, it’ll heal and be much better for it. Plus, I haven’t seen many jap maps with deadwood which suits the smoother bark they generally exhibit. This tree has heaps of potential though, nice find.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I agree, the scar would make a great focal point.

I don't think so.

Venerable trees don't have to be disabled, maimed, torn out, half-rotten or half-dead.

But of course it all depends of what an image of a tree you have in your own mind.

Like, "What do you think of this cascade Cedrus libani?..."

Had tawouk and falafel for lunch. Shared some "real" "taboulé" with my friend. The guy told me the place is too small to display a flag of Lebanon. That"s a pity, it's the nicest flag I know. I'll get back soon with a flag that fits in : the food's so good.

I've always wanted to go there, so much history. A lot of problems to solve too, I hope they'll make it out. I heard a lot of people just wanted a secular state where Liberty, Equality, and Fraternity are the core values of the society, not cults.

langfr-1024px-Flag_of_Lebanon.svg.png

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
In 2008 I wired this Green Mound Fig, brought it home and put it in a good position in my greenhouse and watched as all but one lower branches died, one at a time. I had no idea what to do so it just stayed there for two years. Eventually, the top grew out and I thought I'd make a houseplant out of Too Tall Jones. I started picking the dead bark off the terrible 6" long wound and found a very attractive sinuous form below the bark. I cleaned up the edges being careful not to damage those live edges, rewired top canopy, and the rest is history. That terrible wound which made the tree unusable became the premier feature of the tree. Keep yours, it's special.
FGM 2019_1206EditBonsai0017.JPG

Top Bottom