Urechites lutea

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I googled it and it looks nice, but the flowers look huge so it's hard to make them smaller i think.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I googled it and it looks nice, but the flowers look huge so it's hard to make them smaller i think.
You are correct; in general flowers and fruit do not become smaller under bonsai cultivation.

carp

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
@Geo , we use it in landscaping here in Florida all the time. Typically they clump, but I think the trunks fuse because I've seen trunks on old Alamanda. There is a dwarf, but the leaf and flower is still pretty big, and the internodes are long, not sure how they reduce either.

They prefer to be on the dry side, we grow them in the nursery I work in. Im not sure if they are worth the effort of bonsai training, but you could always try. Some varieties are susceptible to nematodes and they're all cold sensitive.

carp

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
@Geo , we use it in landscaping here in Florida all the time. Typically they clump, but I think the trunks fuse because I've seen trunks on old Alamanda. There is a dwarf, but the leaf and flower is still pretty big, and the internodes are long, not sure how they reduce either.

They prefer to be on the dry side, we grow them in the nursery I work in. Im not sure if they are worth the effort of bonsai training, but you could always try. Some varieties are susceptible to nematodes and they're all cold sensitive.

Reactions: Geo

armetisius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Yes the flowers are large but according to this document:
https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/pdffiles/FP/FP59500.pdf
they are only 2.5". Which sounds about right. Many of the
satsukis have flowers that size and larger.
My Great-aunt had one in a pot for years, along with her
hibiscus, all were grown shrub form and were fabulous when
they bloomed. Nearly constantly. She kept them around 3' tall
and her root pruning consisted of slicing off the bottom third
of the root balls every Spring and replacing the bottom with fresh
"enriched" soil. Always wintered well in her sun porch too. Though
flowering seems to stop during the winter.

Last edited:

eferguson1974

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Alamendra is the word for almond in Spanish. I dont remember them in Fl. but I never looked either. They have big leaves, like 6" across. Same family?

nagatay

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Can they be hard pruned.?

Top Bottom