Urgent RMJ collecting advice needed - possible collection tomorrow

chansen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I hope I'm not too late...

I'm in a pickle. I'm in western WY at my parents cabin, I have permits. I found 3 really nice junipers. I don't know if they're RMJ or Utah juniper, but I figure the advice will be the same.

The junipers have unfortunately pushed some new growth. Not rampant growth all over the tree, but at most there are a few shoots that are 2" of new growth and then a good number more that are an inch or less. Some of the tree has not started growing. Am I too late to collect? Two of the three are in very collectible conditions, nice soft soil without too many rocks, etc. If I'm too late, I can try again in the fall collecting period or wait until next year. I've only lightly explored one of the 4 canyons I've got on the list, I'm going to hit the rest today and dig tomorrow (if safe/possible).

I'm here until tomorrow, so I can get back out there this afternoon or tomorrow morning. The firs and spruces in the same area are not growing yet, and some of the "D" trees are just barely budding out.

Thanks,

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I'd go for it! I was in Western SD last weekend collecting RMJ and Pondys and thought it was about the perfect time. Get lots of fine feeder roots, then post pix!

chansen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'd go for it! I was in Western SD last weekend collecting RMJ and Pondys and thought it was about the perfect time. Get lots of fine feeder roots, then post pix!

Well, I ended up leaving them. I didn't want to chance it. They're up a canyon about 5 minutes on a 4-wheeler from the cabin. So I know they'll be there next year.

I went up a different canyon and was able to get higher up in elevation. Not everything had budded out just yet so I took two trees up there. I wanted more, but collecting with a 2 year old isn't the easiest! Luckily my step-dad was riding along too so he entertained while I dug. I'll get pics of the two trees up when I'm back to civilization.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
FYI...

Junipers don't push a lot of new roots until after the foliage is well under way for the year... so you would have likely been just fine. Memorial Day weekend is when Daniel usually goes collecting for RMJ.

Granted you could collect at the most ideal time and still have losses... so don't beat yourself up if you get something and it doesn't make it. There is always some level of loss in collecting with trees like these... experiance makes it easier, but not foolproof.

V

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Christian, where do you go collecting and how did you get the permits? Is it private land? I have been unsuccessful in getting permission to collect in the canyons here in Logan.

chansen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
FYI...

Junipers don't push a lot of new roots until after the foliage is well under way for the year... so you would have likely been just fine. Memorial Day weekend is when Daniel usually goes collecting for RMJ.

Granted you could collect at the most ideal time and still have losses... so don't beat yourself up if you get something and it doesn't make it. There is always some level of loss in collecting with trees like these... experiance makes it easier, but not foolproof.

V
Victrinia -

Well that's disappointing to hear now! Oh well; I figured it would be better to not risk killing them. I guess I should have listened to my non-bonsai oriented wife after all lol! They'll be there next year. Thanks for the info. It's really appreciated.

plant_dr -

From what I've heard/experienced, getting permits anywhere near civilization here in UT is almost impossible. I've heard from others that permits are available for the Uintah's. I was in Wyoming over the weekend, my parents have a cabin up there. I can take a four wheeler up just about any canyon (as long as I make enough noise to scare off the cougars, there's one per canyon according to the forest rangers).

Top Bottom