US Bonsai in 20 years?

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Possibly, but they have been a quaranteen house for some time, more likely they came in in shipping containers, pallets etc.

I mentioned the money before, but the sheer lewdness of cutting down all those trees is the larger issue as far as I am concerned.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes but it makes sense that a quarenteen area would be in Mass. with a long horn beetle problem.

99.9 percent of all fruits and vegatables that are recieved by Japan have originated in the county of Fresno, CA.

Packing crates and shipping containers used to be recycled. Not any more. They go out but we don't want them back. Sequoia park and Kings Canyon both have suffered from beetle damage. The Nations Christmas tree as well as the largest tree in the world are there. I would hate to lose them from a beetle you could squeeze between your fingers.

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Out of curosity, do you think all the trees imported are legal ?

keep it green,
Harry

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Out of curosity, do you think all the trees imported are legal ?

keep it green,
Harry

I'm not sure who this question is directed at....

But my feelings are legal or illegal, once the critter is here it can do the damage. In Japan the longhorn beetle is rather docile and sluggush in the thick, moist coastal environment. Once it comes to the dryer more arid regions of the world the beetle turns super human and can reproduce at staggering rates as well as eat nearly 10 times more than at it's home.

If it wern't for the beetle this import problem would be non existant so it's all about the beetle. Legal or illegal. Take for instance drugs, it is illegal to bring them into our nation illegally, yet it is done everyday and no body really cares. Now if the dope came with a passenger that could devastate a forest or fed solely on teleprompters their would be hell to pay for dope. The border would have 10 million soldiers there tomorrow if the G thought a telaprompter was going to dissapear.

J W

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Als quote"Within less than a 45 minute drive of three quality clubs with a combined attendence of over 90 people, I counted only 3 people from those three clubs that came to the display seminar on Sunday at the Toko Kazari. This by Kathy Shaner for 15.00 bucks. Even when high quality education comes no one attends. How can bonsai progress when TV seems the best option for a Sunday afternoon".(this is a quote)

Al;I respect what you have said or took the time to the to share with people on the internet. I do not have cable or TV. My son is 10 years old and has spent time with Kathy, Jim, Ivan, Bob and many members of the REBS. They have given him there information, teaching, hopes and understanding. My son has taking this with an open heart. I appreciate these people and also you that have shared your time with word's and inspiration. But most of all have you guys have written it down our talked about it.

I ask you this or say this? At this moment Al your supporting American's right to learn and teach. I'm proud to witness this, I'm even more proud that we can do this for $15 bucks. (I'm very disapointed that sometimes the competition is more than the price that it cost to participate.) People don't believe in there teaching.

You have spent time with Boon, Jim, Peter and Kathy... Others feel they are not worthy to step up to this.

OUR clubs respect the one person or two people that will take the challenge on that you and the other participants that you listed. How can they out do there teacher? I was hoping Jim the best of luck, I know him personally and I will be at every one of his classes with my son. I can not say enough for his instruction.

I have seen Kathy set up a show and ask my son his opinion. That made my heart feel good. She is an amazing person!!!

I trust that my son will meet you. I will make this happen as you make your tables in your wood work.

As far as my weekend I was coaching three baseball games this weekend with children and after Jim's email I was wishing I was there seeing his work and supporting Kathy's decision. But I had already made my decision to coach. I know I will have my time to do what you have accomplished, because you have given me a reason to believe I can.

Al I mean no disrespect, I'm influenced by your work as much as Kathy's, Jim's and Boom's. I'm a younger generation with decision's to make.

JW

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Als quote"Within less than a 45 minute drive of three quality clubs with a combined attendence of over 90 people, I counted only 3 people from those three clubs that came to the display seminar on Sunday at the Toko Kazari. This by Kathy Shaner for 15.00 bucks. Even when high quality education comes no one attends. How can bonsai progress when TV seems the best option for a Sunday afternoon".(this is a quote)

Al;I respect what you have said or took the time to the to share with people on the internet. I do not have cable or TV. My son is 10 years old and has spent time with Kathy, Jim, Ivan, Bob and many members of the REBS. They have given him there information, teaching, hopes and understanding. My son has taking this with an open heart. I appreciate these people and also you that have shared your time with word's and inspiration. But most of all have you guys have written it down our talked about it.

I ask you this or say this? At this moment Al your supporting American's right to learn and teach. I'm proud to witness this, I'm even more proud that we can do this for $15 bucks. (I'm very disapointed that sometimes the competition is more than the price that it cost to participate.) People don't believe in there teaching.

You have spent time with Boon, Jim, Peter and Kathy... Others feel they are not worthy to step up to this.

OUR clubs respect the one person or two people that will take the challenge on that you and the other participants that you listed. How can they out do there teacher? I was hoping Jim the best of luck, I know him personally and I will be at every one of his classes with my son. I can not say enough for his instruction.

I have seen Kathy set up a show and ask my son his opinion. That made my heart feel good. She is an amazing person!!!

I trust that my son will meet you. I will make this happen as you make your tables in your wood work.

As far as my weekend I was coaching three baseball games this weekend with children and after Jim's email I was wishing I was there seeing his work and supporting Kathy's decision. But I had already made my decision to coach. I know I will have my time to do what you have accomplished, because you have given me a reason to believe I can.

Al I mean no disrespect, I'm influenced by your work as much as Kathy's, Jim's and Boom's. I'm a younger generation with decision's to make.

JW

Before a response can be formulated I seek further clarification of this line:

Please don't confuse yourself with my frustrating post about the locals. I would never expect anyone to choose bonsai, 5.5 hours drive away over coaching any sport with thier children.

J W

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Well I did exactly that... hahaa sorry.

As far as that line I was trying to say that; when alot of us see the class of people that where signed up for that, we feel very out ranked. When we see a couple of the teachers from one club or another go out and compete it's hard to jump in there and try it also.

But I agree that what a waist of a great chance to learn.

JW

Reaction score
I wonder how much New England Bonsai's agressive import policy in the past had to do with that?

Al, I'm not sure what you mean or are inferring by this? I've been associated with NEBG for 20 years and have worked there part time for about 10. I would never say that theyr were or are aggressive importers (I don't know what you mean by aggressive). Before the restrictions we imported trees maybe once every 2 years and always through USDA inspection/supervision. We often lost many nice trees because of their incompetence of leaving trees at the port in boxes for no reason or other reasons. Hitoshi and Teddi, the owners, are two of the most ethical people I know and never cut corners or do anything illegal when it comes to buying or selling bonsai. They were even hesitant to enter the new quarantine pilot program because of the hassles involved but I talked them into working with US Agriculture which instituted a two year quarantine for imported trees. It is heavily monitored and took us a year to create the small quarantine area according to USDA specs (ie. double screening, double door entry, no open exposed spacing at any joints, etc).
Actually most of the trees we sell are from all across the US (including your wonderful state of CA). Hitoshi drives around the country and hand picks good bonsai for us here in New England. I can tell you of other people that are I am 98% sure are importing trees illegally on a more than casual scale and it sickens me. We often shake our heads at these sellers who are cutting corners to make a buck while we struggle to maintain a respectable business.
We often here things 'through the grapevine' and take it as fact - I don't know where you got the notion of NEBG having been an aggressive importer but I never saw it. Brussels was importing far more trees than anyone in the US for a while (don't know if they are currently in the pilot quarantine program) and there have been others nurseries (eg. Iseli, Bonsai Northwest, etc) who were importing a lot of from Japan.
Just want to set the record straight. There is nothing wrong with importing trees legally - it's just very risky. Since trees come in bare root and can be stalled at USDA ports, they can sometimes be extremely stressed when they arrive. A certain amount of loss is expected and the buyer is on the hook for all of it. And then you have to wait 2 years to sell them......
peace in bonsai,

John Romano
RI - the shohin state

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Al, I'm not sure what you mean or are inferring by this?
John Romano
RI - the shohin state

I'm not inferring anything. Just bringing up a point that I find rather coincidental.

Bill made this statement:

"There heeeeere, about a half hour drive away from me, in the central part of Massachusetts. This problem has already cost millions of dollars, and the removal of one hell of a lot of trees. With the acid rain/pollution problem I have read about in the European forrests this addition would be disasterous."

I have no idea if Bill is even correct, but lets give him the benifit of the doubt. Lets say that the Head of the USDA gives John Romano the distinction of finding the source of an invasive Japanese beetle that probably, possibly came in via a shipment of possibe trees from Japan. Being Massachusetts is a rather small state, roughly 15 and half time smaller than California, and contains a nursery that has and does import trees from Japan, Where would you start your search?

I'm not trying to place blame nor trying to start some conspiracy theory...I just find it rather coincidental. Thats all. I also have no opinion either way as to legal or illegal importing of bonsai. There are so many things that go on illegally in our country that bonsai trees has to be the last thing I am concearned about. There is enough importing in the past and the present that goes on in California. I have shown many pictures on this web site of trees seen as recently as last year. There are also many stories of whole shipments being trunk split and burned because of one beetle.

"My" point is...that is the one they saw...how many escaped they didn't see?

Cheers, Al

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Here is a link to a news article - http://www.telegram.com/article/20100111/NEWS/100119971/1116

From what I have seen in my visits to the NEBG nursery I tend to go with Johns assesment. Our area has a tendency to be a cross roads of sorts with freight traveling around the country thru several main routes the traverse New England from the local ports in Boston, and New Haven, Ct. areas.

Iv'e heard that in many places you have to be careful with produce that came from out of the country, you might find tarantulas for example in a bunch of banannas. It's a small world now Al, these kind of things will get worse, or we will wall ourselves up in little gated communities. Not down playing the beetle issue, but I am not sure what can or will be done about things like this. I do remember the med fly issue you guys had out there. Has to be scary when you have to be off the streets by a certain hour or be arially sprayed with pesticides by your local govt.

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here is the most exciting thing that will happen in 20 years in bonsai:

Due to the advancement of genetic engineering, we will discover the gene that makes a species adapt to different climate zones. As a result, we will be able to grow genetically enhanced larch, fir, white pine, and spruce, that can thrive in a mediterranean climate. We will also be able to grow Pemphis, and other tropical species, in our cooler climates, and import killer material from Robert Steven.

This, to me, will make growing bonsai incredibly exciting, since one will be able to grow trees irrespective to their native climate.

On the flip side, this discovery will cause unimaginable devastation in our environment: local flora will be destroyed and replaced by these plants with "super-genes", the natural balance will disappear, and ecological devastation will follow. Rightly so, society will blame bonsai for all this, and there will be a bonsai prohibition, similar to the one in 1920 - 1933 in the U.S. Consequently, bonsai prices will skyrocket, and everybody will grow moonshine-bonsai in their back-yards. Inevitably, the mob will get into the bonsai-business, and they will be the main financiers of (secret) bonsai conventions.

Last edited:

capnk

Mame
Reaction score
Perhaps bonsai will become a video game, and people can prune and style the same tree, the same way, over and over and over again...

Brent

Mame
Reaction score
Some one will produce a movie about a middle aged executive who becomes a reclusive after wrongfully losing his job over an alleged sexual indiscretion. His disenchantment with the real world is ameliorated by his almost obsessive plunge into his bonsai. His moments with his trees are the only earthly reward he cherishes until he meets an outgoing woman and falls in love. He resolves his withdrawal and his fear of commitment through a running dialog in his head while he works on his trees. The bonsai work is not superficial, but rather intensely complex. Solving problems with his trees helps him solve his problems in life through little realizations until he heals his soul and can come out of his shell. The movie is rich in eastern philosophy and the expression of how precious all life is, not just human life.

The movie will do more for bonsai than even the The Karate Kid.

Brent

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Some one will produce a movie about a middle aged executive who becomes a reclusive after wrongfully losing his job over an alleged sexual indiscretion. His disenchantment with the real world is ameliorated by his almost obsessive plunge into his bonsai. His moments with his trees are the only earthly reward he cherishes until he meets an outgoing woman and falls in love. He resolves his withdrawal and his fear of commitment through a running dialog in his head while he works on his trees. The bonsai work is not superficial, but rather intensely complex. Solving problems with his trees helps him solve his problems in life through little realizations until he heals his soul and can come out of his shell. The movie is rich in eastern philosophy and the expression of how precious all life is, not just human life.

The movie will do more for bonsai than even the The Karate Kid.

Brent

Hi Brent,

Do you already have a script, or will this be like one of those reality shows out there, like The Jersey Shore? :rolleyes:

Klytus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
One day he finds her with the weedkiller and as he looks into her one good eye he attains enlightenment,they embrace before living happily ever after.

The credits roll,Fin.

Top Bottom