US bonsai pot artist list? Pls help pick a nice pot for my JGJuniper.

Mayank

Chumono
Reaction score
Nice. Nice tree.

I like the virt pot but it's a little too simple for the complexity of the movement in the trunk and roots. Looks slightly cheap and blocky too.
The other is more suitable for a single dropping Cascade. The architecal lines better suited for the architecture of more old Deadwood.

The land one is a great shape but I'd want to see it....not in "spruce grey".

What size is the current pot?
What do you figure a square one should be?

I got nothing to do tonight.

Sorce
@sorce the current pot is 6.5 ish diameter on the inside and is approx. 4.75 on outside without including the legs. I figure 5 to 5.5 inch square and maybe 6 inch deep? The Ron Lang one is exactly that btw.

Mayank

Chumono
Reaction score
What is wrong with the current pot:confused:? Juniper generally considered feminine unless having unusually aged and gnarly trunk making more masculine. Hard edged pots considered masculine and less than ideal. Current pot is curvacious(feminine)bodied, about right sized and simple. A nice Cascade pot not detracting from tree itself but acting as supporting base instead of stealing the show;).
Its a little too big, don't necessarily mind the pot and actually liked it quite a bit when it was super overgrown now just feels bulky if you see it in person. Also, our teacher Vance Hanna (@vancehanna) suggested a square style pot and Jennifer Price the judge at our last show said the current pot was too large to be a good final pot and also leaned towards a square so that got into my head....I'm sure if that doesn't look nice then I may have a round one made by someone?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@sorce the current pot is 6.5 ish diameter on the inside and is approx. 4.75 on outside without including the legs. I figure 5 to 5.5 inch square and maybe 6 inch deep? The Ron Lang one is exactly that btw.

Nice.
I near thought this would be too small.
I got 2 others might work for that.....

The round pot looks better in the before pic.
I think something that was exposed makes it look akward, perhaps the cascading branch being a bit too parallel to pot lip, or that Jin....

That Jin....

It would be nice to match that angle with the side wall of the pot. \

Can you measure the angle?

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looking at this ......

I think this red branch should be brought up.
Capture+_2020-03-10-13-00-06.png

And that trunkline of the yellow could be exposed, to make that purple section appear more connected. It seem misplaced now, uneasy.

I think these things will help it look better in that pot.

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That red branch, and the other there, dropped to the same angle as the Jin, looks like they also should be dead. I think that adds to the uneasyness.

Also, they are so far Left, they add to the "weight" hanging off the pot left.
Where they should be balancing the left, being placed farther right and up..ish.

All this stuff, seems to be making the round pot not work.

Sorce

Mayank

Chumono
Reaction score
Give thanks for the ignorant, tasteless, tyro philistines like me who would treasure the existing composition. 🤩
I'm glad you like it. My son spent hours on it even after we roughed it out with Vance Hanna. I daresay that the after image does not reflect a lot of minor changes he made. I'll try to get a new pic and post.

Last edited:

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I'm glad you like it. My son spent hours on it even after we roughed it out with Vance Hanna. I daresay that the after image does not reflect a lot of minor changes he made. I'll try to get a new pic and post.
If you guys fucked it up, I will withdraw my compliment. :mad:

Mayank

Chumono
Reaction score
Ok got two pots and had to repot. Wanted to do something today! Anyway tried it on both pots after removing from the round pot. The Ron Lang pot (actually his wife made it) is not as grey and metallic as it looks in the pics. It's actually pretty cool and has this neat texture. These are trial images.

Attachments

• IMG_20200315_133358484.jpg
    IMG_20200315_133358484.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20200315_134236478.jpg
    IMG_20200315_134236478.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 25

Mayank

Chumono
Reaction score
So we picked the Lang container and these are images after repotting, moss applied and all, one in shade and one in sun. We'll refine later on in the season.

Attachments

• IMG_20200315_154036640.jpg
    IMG_20200315_154036640.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20200315_155133743.jpg
    IMG_20200315_155133743.jpg
    241.6 KB · Views: 27

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice. I went to find that Lang one today....I knew you bought it!

Sorce

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
So we picked the Lang container and these are images after repotting, moss applied and all, one in shade and one in sun. We'll refine later on in the season.
I like the deep bow best.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't know of you're seeing the ghost and reaper in that trunk and Deadwood....but that's dope.

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I went to check for that one to see about the dimensions, before I did this one.

20200315_192743.jpg20200315_192720.jpg20200315_192844.jpg20200315_192819.jpg

Something about the wideness of the other 2 seem more fitting still.

How does the new combo feel in person?

I think thinning out the tree (not now of course) to equal what the container can "carry", can really make this right.

This, just like that maple, guilty pleasure, cuz I wanted to see the combo, but unfortunately, they are one hair off.

Fortunately, you can edit your tree to shine with this pot. Where the maple surely needs a new pot.

Dope.

Oh...the tree already does look better too.

Don't want to sound like I'm griping, I am trying to stay on the top of this list 😁,..

I really do like this, and thanks for giving me something to do!

Sorce

Attachments

• 20200315_192801.jpg
    20200315_192801.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 19
Top Bottom