US NATIONAL BONSAI EXHIBITION ENTRIES NOW OPEN!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
84114937_10222637361661472_2199960842617749504_o.jpg
Entries are now open for the 2020 7th US National Bonsai Exhibition which will be held on September 12-13, 2020 in Rochester, New York.

The quality of bonsai has risen tremendously since we first began organizing the US National Bonsai Exhibitions in 2008. Competition is especially tough this year. With limited space available, only the finest, well developed bonsai can be accommodated. Also, in order to provide a diverse display of bonsai, species are also heavily considered when selecting bonsai for display. While most exhibitions in the United States, as well as in Japan, only show about a dozen or so varieties, the last US National Bonsai Exhibition featured 127 different species and cultivars! A large number of Sargent, Japanese Garden and collected Junipers submitted, so Junipers are evaluated more closely so only the most unique and beautiful bonsai are displayed.
83577998_10222637364901553_7826271260534374400_o.jpg
Japanese black pine, National Award for finest bonsai in the exhibition by Suthin Sukolosvisit, MA.

84211549_10222637365781575_4881520826312032256_o.jpg
Japanese maple Best Deciduous Bonsai in the exhibition by Dennis Vojtilla, OR.

Join us for the 2020 7th US National Bonsai Exhibition, where you can appreciate and celebrate the high quality and diverse bonsai in the United States. Check out: www.usnationalbonsai.com
Join us for a fun time and to see the current high state of bonsai in the United States. Weekend passes only $40 (until August 1) include all 6 demonstrations and 20 critiques.
Send a photo of your bonsai to:
wnv@internationalbonsai.com

84031290_10222637363221511_5384449917441802240_o.jpg84031290_10222637363221511_5384449917441802240_o.jpg

Last edited:

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Only 2 days this year? Awesome!! See yall in fall

vancehanna

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
What might the procedure be on 're-entry back 'home' to CA once trees leave the state line? Anyone here know?

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
What might the procedure be on 're-entry back 'home' to CA once trees leave the state line? Anyone here know?
Yes, get it inspected before you take it out of the State. You get a certificate that says you can bring it back in within 30 days.

Contact Jonas Duiprich. He’s been doing it for years. He and John Kirby take the trees from the Bay Area back and forth to Rochester. There is a small fee.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Only 2 days this year? Awesome!! See yall in fall
Actually, the trees have to be there by noon on Friday, at the latest. The judging is conducted Friday evening. The trees can be brought in on Thursday, which is helpful to Bill so they can get set up and photographed.

The show opens to the public Saturday morning.

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Oh, thanks for explaining. I thought this was a three day public event

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
LOL! Now that I've sold all my trees and will be heading overseas again soon, indulge me to just rattle a few feathers on my way out the door by saying that the trees pictured for this exhibit all look rather - or perhaps extremely - predictable ... and boring. Some of mine - first Northwest trees of mine.
gift2.jpgShimp-09 copy.jpgAFirScene copy-1 copy.jpgCryptoShohin10 copy.jpg

Attachments

• BSM-1.jpg
    BSM-1.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 87
  • Lion-1.jpg
    Lion-1.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 91
  • ACedar.jpg
    ACedar.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 86
  • JBGinkgoFall10 copy.jpg
    JBGinkgoFall10 copy.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 83
  • MontereyPine-10.jpg
    MontereyPine-10.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 98

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
LOL! Now that I've sold all my trees and will be heading overseas again soon, indulge me to just rattle a few feathers on my way out the door by saying that the trees pictured for this exhibit all look rather - or perhaps extremely - predictable ... and boring. Some of mine - first Northwest trees of mine.
View attachment 283765View attachment 283764View attachment 283767View attachment 283766
Will, not all trees are windswept!

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Will, not all trees are windswept!

Few of mine and none of Dan's are windswept. And certainly not every tree is a Japanese-style green-helmet either, as is almost every bonsai in that photo! Boring! Simply boring to me, Adair. LOL!!! Keep cranking e'm out if that what turns you on ... We may have to agree to disagree ... but I just yawn when I see this stuff. Anyway, no trees anymore for this chapter in my life - all sold, and my tools are packed for wherever I end up next ... so it will be some time before I end up annoying your sensibilities again on the site here. A Dios!

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Will, these are all nice trees, but why are you posting them on this thread? The purpose of this thread is to promote the National Exhibition in September. And to solicit people to submit entries for consideration to be included in the show.

Don’t be that guy who shows pictures and says, “these aren’t going!” What purpose does that serve?

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Few of mine and none of Dan's are windswept. And certainly not every tree is a Japanese-style green-helmet either, as is almost every bonsai in that photo! Boring! Simply boring to me, Adair. LOL!!! Keep cranking e'm out if that what turns you on ... We may have to agree to disagree ... but I just yawn when I see this stuff. Anyway, no trees anymore for this chapter in my life - all sold, and my tools are packed for wherever I end up next ... so it will be some time before I end up annoying your sensibilities again on the site here. A Dios!
Will, I would suggest that at least 6 of the 9 trees in your first post are either “windswept” or “wind influenced”.

Your preference for “tree styling” may be different from mine, and that’s ok. I’ve always maintained that I’m not particularly artistic.The fascination I get with bonsai is more “how did they do that?” than the emotional impact of “art”. Kinda like when you see a ship in a bottle. That kind of thing.

Good luck to you in your future endeavors!

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well, I will say "A Dios, Adair," as opposed to some less polite parting salutation. I never held any animus to you, and I always appreciated your dedication to the refinement of the by-now-boring-to-me traditional Japanese stereotype. It's never been my thing, but within it's confines I think you do well by it. I wish you well in your bonsai endeavors.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Well, I will say "A Dios, Adair," as opposed to some less polite parting salutation. I never held any animus to you, and I always appreciated your dedication to the refinement of the by-now-boring-to-me traditional Japanese stereotype. It's never been my thing, but within it's confines I think you do well by it. I wish you well in your bonsai endeavors.
Will, I greatly admire Japanese bonsai, and I’m trying to learn how to do it to the best of my ability.

I still don’t understand why you posted yours and Dan’s trees on this thread if you have no intention of submitting them for consideration for inclusion to the National Exhibition. If that was indeed your intent, pictures should be sent directly to Bill.

by all means, I think some of them are certainly worthy of being included, but Bill is the person who decides.

I was simply remarking that I saw a pattern of “wind influence” in their styling. You seem to think it’s ok for you to accuse me of having “Japanese Influenced” trees, and I think you’re correct in that assessment. Yet, you seem to be insulted when I said you tend to favor “wind influenced” trees. Come on, man. I was just making conversation!

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@grouper52 it must be that wind ruffling feathers....not your intentions! Lol!

Sorce

My thoughts about all this brouhaha - in addition to late night recollections of Van Morrison's "On Hyndford Street" - is to refer any dissenters here to this merchant: https://washlet.totousa.com. 'Nuff said.

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
@grouper52, for living a Buddhist life, you sure are full of resentment.... good luck on the mountains. perhaps when there there is nobody around that can make you feel better then them you can finally become free...

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@grouper52, for living a Buddhist life, you sure are full of resentment.... good luck on the mountains. perhaps when there there is nobody around that can make you feel better then them you can finally become free...
You don't know me at all, buddy, all you know are pixels on a computer screen. Sad. Peace be with you.

Top Bottom