US National Bonsai Exhibition, Sept 8-9, 2018

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Loved seeing so many native trees on display AND for sale. Saw my very first (in person) show quality Jack pine, pitch pines and eastern white pine. Funny to think I haven't seen/heard about 99% of what's going on in the bonsai world. Never regret hiking out to these things, but really wish PA/NJ/MD would host something like this.
Basically I know the bonsai world from here, bloggers, youtube bloggers and the most typical books and vids for sale.

KeithE

Yamadori
Reaction score
90% $.
10% art.

S

Every time you sell a pot, you contribute to that 'unbalanced' outlook. Complaining that people pay money for trees and pots, while at the same time selling pots...:cool:. If your pots started selling for hundreds or thousands would you be upset and stop making them?
Would you prefer this event not happen? A significant amount of money must change hands to make these things happen. Should the vendors travel across the country to just give away their pots/trees or should they not even have a sales area?

I don't know what the rest of your post is saying, but Americans do not replicate Antique Chinese pots because it's too difficult. I don't know what price Owen is asking.. but the pot in the picture is over 100 years old, good size and color, great patina, has travelled around the world, so I assume its very expensive.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Every time you sell a pot, you contribute to that 'unbalanced' outlook. Complaining that people pay money for trees and pots, while at the same time selling pots...:cool:. If your pots started selling for hundreds or thousands would you be upset and stop making them?
Would you prefer this event not happen? A significant amount of money must change hands to make these things happen. Should the vendors travel across the country to just give away their pots/trees or should they not even have a sales area?

I don't know what the rest of your post is saying, but Americans do not replicate Antique Chinese pots because it's too difficult. I don't know what price Owen is asking.. but the pot in the picture is over 100 years old, good size and color, great patina, has travelled around the world, so I assume its very expensive.

I'm not complaining at all....

Reflecting on when I first found out how much $ was involved.

S

KeithE

Yamadori
Reaction score
I'm not complaining at all....
Reflecting on when I first found out how much $ was involved.
S
Stating the event is 90% about money seems derogatory and casts a shadow on those who spent mass amounts of time/effort just so others could enjoy their trees. If that was not your intent, please ignore my comment. Many people, like myself, travelled long distances carrying trees for others who could not attend but wanted to share their trees.
But yes, it can be very expensive like almost any other hobby.

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Sorce is just being real/blunt. he doesn't mean anything overly negative by it

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was talking about Kokofu!
And Japanese Bonsai.

It's all good!

Oh...these American pots...just won't patina the same...makes it interesting.
Different.

Don't deny the patina! It's amazingly real!

Love!

Quit my job today! Hoping them pots sell!

Lol!

S

-norwegian_blue-

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Part 1

Just got back from the show. This was my first national show (been to many local shows over the years) and was blown away. Here’s my thoughts on the show, a few items that I hauled back to Alabama (about 14 hours one way) and a few places that we visited while there. Sorry for the crap cell phone pics ;they're better than nothing, though (Added clickable thumbnails).

The Show/Exhibition Area:

The quality of the trees on display was pretty outstanding. As others have mentioned, you just have to be there to appreciate the trees and displays as a whole. While photos are great, they absolutely cannot capture subtle nuances that, IMO, make this hobby great. Bill doesn’t allow photos in the show area and most folks followed that rule. It does suck, but I can understand the reason behind the rule (besides, it was crowded enough without having everyone trying to snap a picture of every tree with their phones). Anyhow, there’s not much that I can say to describe the trees…you really just have to be there to ‘get it’. As previously posted, Bonsai Empire has put up a video or two and posted the winning trees. Judging the show must’ve been difficult, as there were more than a handful that were award worthy, in my humble opinion! I’m very much looking forward to the commemorative album when it comes out.

It was great to meet a good number of you as well as folks that I've communicated with via phone/email over the years. Roy, Suthin, Wayne, Bjorn, Boon, Ryan, Brussel (I'm leaving many out): thank you for the chats and the camaraderie!

I was able to attend a few of the demos, which were very informative. Unfortunately, I didn't take any pictures. I generally don't have presence of mind to do so when I'm concentrating on picking up information that is being laid down!

Especially cool, IMO, was listening to attendees who visited the show and have (had) little understanding of bonsai. It was great to hear more experienced folks patiently explain what bonsai really is (not just hacked up junipers in pots) and really encourage those who were interested to get started.

Here is the show’s ‘logo’ this year. It’s Bill V’s ‘Seigan’ JM (it was at the show…I also got to see his cascade/semi-cascade version at his studio). Very cool logo (this on is on a shirt that I picked up. I wish I had picked up a hat):

screenshot_394.jpg

The Vendor Area:

Well, what can I say...the vendor area was packed. There were tons of vendors selling any and everything bonsai-related. I've not seen so many vendors at one place before. This alone made it worth the trip to me. Many varieties of plant material were available from starters to yamadori to finished trees (of all qualities). There were deals to be had, but as expected, the best items commanded the highest prices. I was able to snag a few items (tools, soil, books, etc). I also picked up one of the Meco stands from Superfly Bonsai. A definite improvement over the simple turntable that I've used for quite some time.

I only picked up one tree, but I'm excited to have it. Its a ROR zelcova from Suthin. As usual, his trees were exquisite. I appreciate him taking them time to speak with me about the tree (its history, nuances...even discussed the pot). Here is a crappy pic or two. I plan on getting better ones later on:

IMG_1360.JPG

Here are the pots that I picked up, starting with the Rayners. It was a little comical to watch people rush to her table. It was sort of like a bonsai-convention version of Black Friday. Most of her stuff was gone pretty quickly. I was able to pick out a couple:

A pretty great rounded square:

IMG_1349.JPG
IMG_1350.JPG

...and a classic oval:

IMG_1352.JPG

Then there's Roy. As usual, Roy's pots are incredible and very, very difficult to photograph. There's nothing that I can say about his pots that hasn't been said before. Each one is a work of art that he pours his heart and soul into. As you all know, Roy is a truly kind person inside and out and I enjoyed our conversation. It was great to see him there smiling given all that he and his family have gone through.

First up is a moko. It does have a small kiln crack along the bottom, but I couldn't pass it up. Again, pictures do not do it justice:

IMG_1356.JPG
IMG_1357.JPG
IMG_1358.JPG

Next is a gem to me. This is one of Roy's very early works. It is a very simple, yet nuanced pot with cracked white glaze. Something about this pot spoke to me...and I knew that I had to have it. Many thanks to Roy for passing this one on:

IMG_1353.JPG
IMG_1354.JPG

...to be continued

-norwegian_blue-

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Part 2

...next up are the Japanese pots. I picked up a couple from Matt O. (one old and one new). Matt is very knowledgable and had a very impressive array of pots, both new and old (and very old). It was great speaking with Matt and I hope to make it up to his place at some point.

First up is a Reiho. The colors have to be seen to be believed...they just don't come through in this picture:
IMG_1346.JPG
IMG_1348.JPG

Next up is an Ito Tonyo (Ito Gekkou's brother). Ito Tonyo apparently produced most of the pots that his brother painted. Most that I have seen are very, very well made. Not to sound like a broken record, but something about this pot spoke to me, so it came home with me as well:
IMG_1343.JPG
IMG_1345.JPG

Hollow Creek Bonsai:
We heard that there was an open house at Hollow Creek, so we made the ~30 minute drive from the show for a visit. The prices there are very reasonable and good material (in quantity and variety) was available. I didn't pick up anything overly impressive there (although I had my eye on an Arakawa JM); rather I did pick up a couple small chinese elms that have good potential as quality shohin eventually. I recommend checking this place out if you are in the area

Bill V's Garden:
We also took some time to visit Bill's Garden (The International Bonsai Arboretum). His maples are simply stunning. It was pretty awesome to see many of the trees that I've only seen in photographs over the years. He even took a little time to speak with me about some of them that I showed particular interest in. Funny, he was quick to inform me which were "not for sale" (not that I blame him). He has a sales areas and there was quality material being offered. He had one finished, show-quality trident that caught my eye. The price was equivalent to a new BMW, so I just admired it from a safe distance. :) Anyhow, if you find yourself in the area, do yourself a favor and visit his place (I'm told that it is via appointment only, FWIW). Thanks again, Bill, for graciously opening your home for us to visit, especially given all that you had going on at the time. It was an honor to meet you and to see your life's work!

Upstate New York:
This was my first trip to New York. I've been told that this part of NY is vastly different from the eastern part of the state. The people were friendly and the landscape reminded me very much of home (Huntsville, AL); the main difference being the indigenous trees (there are beautiful evergreens up there!) and the mild weather (we left and returned to 90+ degree weather in AL). There were two things that I found extremely disconcerting about the area (kidding, but I'm a southern boy). The first is the lack of proper iced tea (everything seemed to be powdered tea...which is disgusting, even at the nicer eating establishments...come on folks, it isn't difficult to brew a proper pitcher of tea! Interestingly, we found a great Indian restaurant that could brew a proper pot). The second, is the lack of chicken biscuits for breakfast. We drove through McDonald's one morning for a quick bite. They looked at me like I had five eyeballs when I ordered a chicken biscuit. Apparently a small fried chicken breast on a biscuit is a southern thing. Who knew. Heh. Anyhow, that part of New York is nice; I'm sure it's beautiful in the Fall.

Niagara Falls:
Since we were so close, we went up early to visit the Falls. Definitely worth the trip. We visited the Canadian side, and checked out the touristy things there. We road the Maid of the Mist boat tour...which I would recommend. There is no other way to experience the falls, IMO. Although I think we may take a helicopter tour next time we find ourselves up that way.

To sum it up: our trip was exceptional. Thank you to Bill for sponsoring the event and thanks everyone who worked so hard to make the event what it was. I definitely plan on returning in 2020. Now, its time for a nap from that 14 hour drive!

Coppersdad

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
That requires studying and learning. If you can’t tell the difference, there no reason to care.
Either is fine; being in one camp and throwing rocks at the other is when we get in trouble.
That trip was my first, baby steps, in an attempt to learn the difference. Sure, there was a huge amount a beginner like me can't understand. But I hope my eye is different than it was before the trip. (I still often use Goodwill finds as training pots and I'm not ashamed to admit it.)

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@Adair M stunning trees...any close ups of your Olive's bark? It draws me in...all lovely trees and displays.
I don’t really have a close up photo of the bark. Maybe this one will do:

E8A552DA-8798-4C43-A3FA-2E629B56AE69.jpeg

Funny, at the Nationals, various artists give critiques. I was putting this tree back on it’s stand after getting it photographed for the album when Kathy was critiquing that row. She talked about how I should have enhanced the little pockets in the trunk by staining them with India ink! Nothing about the branches, or anything. Mentioned it could be in a shallower pot.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don’t really have a close up photo of the bark. Maybe this one will do:

View attachment 209839

Funny, at the Nationals, various artists give critiques. I was putting this tree back on it’s stand after getting it photographed for the album when Kathy was critiquing that row. She talked about how I should have enhanced the little pockets in the trunk by staining them with India ink! Nothing about the branches, or anything. Mentioned it could be in a shallower pot.

Yours wasn't the only tree she said that about, there was another right before that. A pine, I think, that had a large area of deadwood right in the front that extended fairly deep into the trunk (I want to say it was a Kirby tree but could be wrong about that). All of the deadwood was very light in color and she suggested darkening the interior areas. BTW, she specifically said NOT to use india ink but one of those oil-based wood products.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yours wasn't the only tree she said that about, there was another right before that. A pine, I think, that had a large area of deadwood right in the front that extended fairly deep into the trunk (I want to say it was a Kirby tree but could be wrong about that). All of the deadwood was very light in color and she suggested darkening the interior areas. BTW, she specifically said NOT to use india ink but one of those oil-based wood products.
You’re right about the India ink! Thanks!

Oh! The Kirby tree! Godzilla! I worked on that tree years ago.

Yeah, for years and years, the deadwood in the center had no lime sulfur. It was black. Black with natural rotting. This is the first time I’ve ever seen it with lime sulfur! And it surprised me, too!

I haven’t asked Kirby about the decision to lime sulfur it. Lime sulfur does kill the molds and funguses that cause rotting. He had Akio Kondo working on it before the show. I don’t know if it was John’s idea or Akio’s or a collective idea, or done to preserve the trunk and stop the rotting, or what.

I’ll have to ask John about that.

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You’re right about the India ink! Thanks!

Oh! The Kirby tree! Godzilla! I worked on that tree years ago.

Yeah, for years and years, the deadwood in the center had no lime sulfur. It was black. Black with natural rotting. This is the first time I’ve ever seen it with lime sulfur! And it surprised me, too!

I haven’t asked Kirby about the decision to lime sulfur it. Lime sulfur does kill the molds and funguses that cause rotting. He had Akio Kondo working on it before the show. I don’t know if it was John’s idea or Akio’s or a collective idea, or done to preserve the trunk and stop the rotting, or what.

I’ll have to ask John about that.

Is there a photo of the tree available to share? I know everyone would enjoy seeing it.

Top Bottom