US source for pregerminated tree seed

Papa

Seedling
Reaction score
I would like to located a source that sells pregerminated seed for Zelkova, European Hornbeam, or Trident Maple. I have purchased seed several times and followed the germination instructions to have it fail. Anyone out there that can guide me to a reliable source, your help would be greatly appreciated. I am aware that growing trees from seed is a long process but it is also rewarding.
Thanks, Papa.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I would like to located a source that sells pregerminated seed for Zelkova, European Hornbeam, or Trident Maple. I have purchased seed several times and followed the germination instructions to have it fail. Anyone out there that can guide me to a reliable source, your help would be greatly appreciated. I am aware that growing trees from seed is a long process but it is also rewarding.
Thanks, Papa.

Have you looked into why your seed culture, to date, has failed? Is it that the seed just do not germinate or is it that they germinate then die off? If it is the latter, buying pregerminated seeds (if there is such an item to be found) will make little difference. Most trees are at their most vulnerable during the first year or two. In the first several weeks once germination has occurred there are a host of fungal infections that claim their share of the crop if you do not know how to deal with this problem. So in essence if you acquire what you desire and plant them in the same medium with the same problems the results will be the same.

Papa

Seedling
Reaction score
Germination of tree seed

Vance, I order 25 pregerminated japanese maple seed about three years ago. I only lost one and that was because I accidently broke off the root in handling it. I have always had good luck in growing seedlings just not getting seed to germinate. Thanks for your reply. Papa

darrellw

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Another option would be cuttings, all of those should take pretty easily. You can then pick a parent plant that has the traits you want (usually small leaves), and it usually gives you a year or two head start on seeds.

But if you really want zelkova seedlings, come to my house in the spring. They will be all over from my neighbors tree :).

Last edited:

Papa

Seedling
Reaction score
Vance,
Three years ago, I ordered 25 Japanese Red Maple pregerminated seed. I lost one due to an accident in which I accidently broke the root. The seedlings are growing and doing quite well. Approximately 12 years ago, a friend at my school brought me a shovelfull of green leaf japanese maple seed which were just popping open. I have all of those 45 trees. It has ben very rewarding. If I can get the seed to germinate, I have pretty good luck.
Thanks for your reply. Papa

Top Bottom