USA tour: Bonsai - BBQ - Beer : Recommendations?

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi all,

I have mentioned it in a few other threads before, but the more I think about it, the more I think there are a few interest that I share with some of the other nutters.

Of course, Bonsai.
Then I have seen a thread on BBQ (OK, smokers, but hey, a BBB trip sound better than a BBS trip?)
And do I need to explain the beer?

So.. I am contemplating taking maybe 2-3 weeks off, perhaps next year late summer? And popping over to the USA doing a trip visiting a number of gardens. These can be the well known places such as bonsai Mirai, but maybe even more fun, visiting some of the gardens of bonsai nutters. Meet in person. Have a beer. Learn how to do proper roasting and look at some trees.

USA is a little large to see in this way in such a short period. So I need to focus I think.. Maybe do a section by plane? I mean.. Seeing stuff around Portland, seeing the national bonsai museum in Washington and hit the smokersland in the southeast by road will be a bit of a logistical challenge?

Which part of the USA would you recommend focusing on? And if you are in this place: Interested in a meat-up?

J

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I'd be happy to have you over for some BBQ and beer. Unfortunately, bonsai wise, there's not much to see in these parts. Now, if you want to see some corn and soybean fields, then head this way. 😀

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
you could do a couple sections with 2-3 weeks, maybe do a week on the east and a week on the west, and then do a nice week long drive across. If you like nature, we have some beautiful country here- you should try to drive thru some of the iconic parklands. If you get near my place, I'd be happy to smoke you some ribs, and crack some bottles.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Eisei-en Bonsai Garden in Nashville Tennessee... owned by Bjorn Bjorholm... I'm pretty sure they have some descent BBQ and beer around Nashville, too. Descent music seen as well:). From there, you're within a few hour car drive of Brussels, the largest bonsai nursery on the planet (I think). The North Carolina Arboretum in Asheville, North Carolina (also a few hours drive away) has a very good permanent bonsai collection on display year round... and I KNOW they have great beer and BBQ in Asheville.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The Best Beef ain't Barbequed.

You're welcome for a stay round here wherever "here" may be at that time.

Sorce

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The Best Beef ain't Barbequed.
Whaaaat! What are you telling me...? Come on.. Do not tease and stop!
What IS the best beef prepared like? (And I am not much of a Masai, so please do not tell me to eat it right of the flanks of the cow!)

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
USA is a little large to see in this way in such a short period. So I need to focus I think.. Maybe do a section by plane? I mean.. Seeing stuff around Portland, seeing the national bonsai museum in Washington and hit the smokersland in the southeast by road will be a bit of a logistical challenge?

You can see a lot in 3 weeks! But it depends what the first word is in BBB. You can find great locally brewed beer pretty much everywhere.

If you are serious about BBQ, you have to decide styles, since each region has different nuances and that can be a heated subject that would make talking about bonsai soil seem tame. The standards are Kansas City, Texas, Memphis, and Carolinas. I was raised on KC BBQ, dry rub brisket, burnt ends and pork ribs with molasses sweet sauce. But I like the spicy and vinegar sauces also.

I’m going to assume bonsai is the first word, so that seems like the Pacific NW is a must stop. I’d consider flying to the east coast and seeing the National Collection and drive to hit the Carolina BBQ, followed by Nashville for Bjorn (but really because it is on the way to Memphis BBQ). Then drop down to Louisiana for some seriously good food and over for TX BBQ. Then finish it off with a flight to the Pacific NW.

If you have time, I’d also recommend California for the Sequoias, Redwoods, Bristlecones, Monterey Cypress, and gnarly Juniper and pines in the mountains of the National Parks. One state with the tallest, the largest, and the oldest trees in the world! Of course we also have the 3 GSBF collections in the north, central and south. Also drive Highway One, south of Monterey. It’s a postcard around every curve and you get the redwoods and Monterey Cypress. If you make south, stop at my favorite brewery, Figueroa Mountain.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you like nature, we have some beautiful country here- you should try to drive thru some of the iconic parklands.
Thx. This is the idea I have indeed. I probably would mix train/car/plane. I do not mind driving a bit, but I think I would have a better trip if I let some long distances done by someone else, while looking outside myself.

I did a 4-5 week trip in the early 90-ies by Amtrack. Entering from Canada to detroit -> Denver -> Winterpark RMNP-> San Francisco ->LA -> Grand Canyon NP -> New Orleans -> Miami -> Everglades -> Daytona -> Washington -> Philadephia. Saw some amazing countryside; Did some good hiking. I however had to skip some of the main wishlist items such as Brice canyon (My finances were not enough to hire a car so limited to where I could get by train & hitchhiking). So redwood NP and Brice are on my list to go see. Which means a California visit is in there. But the south-eastern states I have hardly seen at all.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Best BBQ I ever had was when I got lost somewhere in northeast Alabama. Was a tiny shack in the middle of nowhere and the dude used his BBQ fork to gesture at everything while he talked me back onto the interstate. His wife made fun of white girls when my wife asked if there was gluten in the sauce. Wish I could remember...

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The rest went chain, accept Credit Cards, and Suck, unless its the Original Location.

Not Johnnie's.
Capture+_2019-07-28-09-17-37.png

The Secret to food that is still good here is CASH ONLY.

Sorce

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If you come to see Bjorn’s place there’s a couple of joints in town that pit smoke entire hogs. Off that bbq path a bit is a Nashville staple, Prince’s Hot Chicken...which has the potential to unhinge space and time. Microbrews all over.
If you come by this way give me a shout.

D

Deleted member 21616

@leatherback bonsai and beer? have you considered including Montreal in your visit to north america?

not only are there some very special trees in our collection at the Montreal Botanical Gardens (link below), but our Quebec beers, cidres, and wines rival those of any other region of the world!

We also have some very classic foods, such as steamies and poutine, smoked meat (it is unique--and best--in Montreal), and the Montreal bagel!

some of our best restaurants specialize in local beers (and wines), and there is no question that we have the most joie-de-vivre in north america! A night out in Montreal is like nothing else.

if you head this way, hit me up and I can send you a list of spots worth considering for your potential itinerary

and here is a clip from Parts Unknown season 1 episode 4 (the full episode-on netflix-is a really great watch!):

jmw_bonsai

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hi all,

I have mentioned it in a few other threads before, but the more I think about it, the more I think there are a few interest that I share with some of the other nutters.

Of course, Bonsai.
Then I have seen a thread on BBQ (OK, smokers, but hey, a BBB trip sound better than a BBS trip?)
And do I need to explain the beer?

So.. I am contemplating taking maybe 2-3 weeks off, perhaps next year late summer? And popping over to the USA doing a trip visiting a number of gardens. These can be the well known places such as bonsai Mirai, but maybe even more fun, visiting some of the gardens of bonsai nutters. Meet in person. Have a beer. Learn how to do proper roasting and look at some trees.

Which part of the USA would you recommend focusing on? And if you are in this place: Interested in a meat-up?

J
If traveling by the Atlanta, Georgia area, feel free to stop over at my place. I'm just about 30 minutes north east of the city.
I could smoke a pork butt and we have several great breweries in the area I could get some nice craft beers to try.

I travel every other weekend so would have to see which weekend it is on my schedule.

I don't have much bonsai yet, but do have LOTS of maples growing out and a few hundred Japanese maple cultivars growing in the yard.

Plant City Bonsai is about 30 minutes away. The Monastery is another Atlanta Bonsai shop. I think about an hour from me.

I know there are a few others in the area like Dav4, Adair, etc that are beer drinkers so I am sure we could get a few people together.
Brunswick Stew.jpgMVIMG_20180306_184632.jpgIMG_20180804_144247.jpgIMG_20180905_185305.jpgIMG_20180908_182931.jpgMVIMG_20180110_194625.jpgMVIMG_20180608_105210.jpgWings.jpgIMG_20181125_164448.jpgIMG_20190624_124530.jpg

Last edited:

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Best BBQ I ever had was when I got lost somewhere in northeast Alabama. Was a tiny shack in the middle of nowhere and the dude used his BBQ fork to gesture at everything while he talked me back onto the interstate. His wife made fun of white girls when my wife asked if there was gluten in the sauce. Wish I could remember...
If you're after bar-b-que, you ain't gonna find it north of the Mason Dixon line ;-)

You especially ain't gonna find it in Illinois or Montreal. Anywhere in Texas, or the Carolinas, (or if you're up against it --Tennessee or Kansas City...but those folks are known for their sauce, not their barbeque ;-)).
If you're in East Texas, I recommend
Get the Motherclucker

I also can't believe no one has suggested the National Bonsai and Penjing Museum in Washington. It is a MUST SEE if you're in the U.S. and want bonsai stuff. It houses the best Japanese bonsai outside of Japan--BAR NONE. You will NOT find anything similar anywhere else in the world...just sayin.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I also can't believe no one has suggested the National Bonsai and Penjing Museum in Washington.
:)

seeing the national bonsai museum in Washington

Looks like this could be a truely cool trip. Time to start mapping out places it seems! Now how many cases of my preferred beer can I take in my handluggage. Hm. :)

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Looks like this could be a truely cool trip. Time to start mapping out places it seems! Now how many cases of my preferred beer can I take in my handluggage. Hm. :)
Sadly the Barbeque in the metro D.C. area is sad, but we have tons of local beer and distilleries...
Some are directly on the way to the arboretum

There are literally two dozen or so local breweries and brew pubs in the immediate area. You will pass right by this one if you're ubering to the Arb on New York Ave.
Prosit!
😁

Top Bottom