USA tour: Bonsai - BBQ - Beer : Recommendations?

Maloghurst

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hi all,

I have mentioned it in a few other threads before, but the more I think about it, the more I think there are a few interest that I share with some of the other nutters.

Of course, Bonsai.
Then I have seen a thread on BBQ (OK, smokers, but hey, a BBB trip sound better than a BBS trip?)
And do I need to explain the beer?

So.. I am contemplating taking maybe 2-3 weeks off, perhaps next year late summer? And popping over to the USA doing a trip visiting a number of gardens. These can be the well known places such as bonsai Mirai, but maybe even more fun, visiting some of the gardens of bonsai nutters. Meet in person. Have a beer. Learn how to do proper roasting and look at some trees.

USA is a little large to see in this way in such a short period. So I need to focus I think.. Maybe do a section by plane? I mean.. Seeing stuff around Portland, seeing the national bonsai museum in Washington and hit the smokersland in the southeast by road will be a bit of a logistical challenge?

Which part of the USA would you recommend focusing on? And if you are in this place: Interested in a meat-up?

J
I spent the day at Dan Robinson’s place yesterday. It’s an amazing nursery, truly one of a kind. $8.00 entry fee. So many trees and so much amazing yamadori. They are so friendly. Dan had me pruning an old JBP with him for a couple hours and we just talked and toured the garden. Dan is only there on the weekend and I suggest to go when he is there if your able. Highly recommend.
About 40 minutes away is the PNW bonsai museum. Amazing as well. A must see in my opinion. Free. Then Mirai is only 2.5 hours south. $50.00. You can do all this in 2 days! Dan is only there on the weekend and I suggest to go when he is there if your able.
We have some amazing BBQ in Seattle too, even if it wasn’t born here. It has made its way.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Im in jersey. Not much bbq but if you expand your food options to pizza, jersey puts most of the rest to shame... we have some incredible breweries too.

There are a few Bonsai places in the area and some great hiking, including jersey shore, northern part of the state like highpoint, cape may, pine barrens...

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Its said that the South Carolina Mustard BBQ sauce owes its creation to the strong Germanic heritage of many of the settlers in the middle part of the state. If you haven't tried it on pork, you should. (And if its sweet, ...its wrong.)

If you're driving up from Florida to DC, SC is a worthy BBQ stop. Not much in the way of bonsai to be seen publicly. (One of these days...)

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If you're after bar-b-que, you ain't gonna find it north of the Mason Dixon line ;-)

You especially ain't gonna find it in Illinois or Montreal. Anywhere in Texas, or the Carolinas, (or if you're up against it --Tennessee or Kansas City...but those folks are known for their sauce, not their barbeque ;-)).
If you're in East Texas, I recommend
Get the Motherclucker

I also can't believe no one has suggested the National Bonsai and Penjing Museum in Washington. It is a MUST SEE if you're in the U.S. and want bonsai stuff. It houses the best Japanese bonsai outside of Japan--BAR NONE. You will NOT find anything similar anywhere else in the world...just sayin.
Actually, the best bonsai collection in the US is Doug Paul’s Kennett Collection. It’s a private collection, but there are ways to see it. (You have to know somebody.). It’s in Pennsylvania.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
One idea no one has suggested is to time the trip to come to the National Show in Rochester, NY in 2020. It’s a great opportunity to see great trees, and meet many of the best bonsai artists in the US.

And, you can visit Bill Valalvanis, too. He has the largest bonsai library in the world! As well as a cool garden.

If you can find a way to visit the Kennett Collection, that should be the next stop.

From there, head to Washington DC to see the National Collection.

From there head to Asheville, NC to the North Carolina Arboretum.

Then go to Memphis, TN, for the BBQ and visit Brussel’s. Bjorn’s place is a couple hours away. (If traveling from Asheville to Memphis by automobile, Bjorn’s place is on the way.)

I wish I knew a particular location to go in Texas for bonsai, but I don’t. Maybe someone can suggest a spot. But go to Texas for what they call BBQ. It’s beef. (Everyone knows REAL BBQ is pork!)

Then on to California. Great National Parks, there are two collections maintained by the Golden State Bonsai Federation. One is South (Los Angeles?) and the other in Oakland at Lake Merritt. I would try to visit Boon, he’s now in Valley Springs, CA, a couple hours inland from Oakland.

Then up to Portland, OR. Visit Ryan and Michael Hagedorn and the rest of the Portland “bonsai Village”.

substratum

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
If you plan to do Florida, particularly North Florida, research the springs, spring-feed rivers, canoe and kayak rentals, boat cruises, etc. Much of North Florida is very remote and pristine.

You can snorkel with manatees in Crystal River (in winter, they migrate to the springs seeking stable water temps), and see huge schools of fish in the river and in King Springs, there.

Most of Florida has interesting water-oriented things to do. Hiking would not be a big Florida feature, imho.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Actually, the best bonsai collection in the US is Doug Paul’s Kennett Collection. It’s a private collection, but there are ways to see it. (You have to know somebody.). It’s in Pennsylvania.
I don't think that's really true-depends on what you're looking for...The SOURCE (and the meaning) of the trees in the Arb's collection is equal to the quality of the trees.

Certainly visit the Kennett Collection if you "know someone" and can arrange to get in...
;)
Y'all don't know Texas if you think all the bar b que is beef. Not true. Texas is (very) arguably the wonderland of BBQ in the U.S. It is literally once its own country. Since the place is so large, there are about four BBQ regions split up directionally, East, Central, West and South. All have different influences and sometimes borrow from each other and from local culture--south is barbacoa, central is influenced by German settlers, etc. East Texas, for instance, is both beef and pork.

Last edited:

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I don't think that's really true-depends on what you're looking for...The SOURCE (and the meaning) of the trees in the Arb's collection is equal to the quality of the trees.

Certainly visit the Kennett Collection if you "know someone" and can arrange to get in...
;)
Y'all don't know Texas if you think all the bar b que is beef. Not true. Texas is (very) arguably the wonderland of BBQ in the U.S. It is literally once its own country. Since the place is so large, there are about four BBQ regions split up directionally, East, Central, West and South. All have different influences and sometimes borrow from each other and from local culture--south is barbacoa, central is influenced by German settlers, etc. East Texas, for instance, is both beef and pork.
I will grant you that the National Collection has very many “special” trees that have been donated.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I will grant you that the National Collection has very many “special” trees that have been donated.
Not to beat a drum or anything ;-) BUT it's hard to find a parallel anywhere in the U.S. with the Arb's unique assembly of Japanese Imperial trees, the North American exhibit's collection of landmark U.S. bonsaiists, or the Yee-sun Wu Penjing collection.

Mayank

Chumono
Reaction score
😌You're welcome to visit wiht us in the Detroit suburbs. Matthei gardens in Ann Arbor has a nice collection. And if Lord Mugo is willing and the stars are aligned in your favor you just might be able to view his beauties! Also, Grand Rapids is not too far away. Meijer gardens are really nice and some Grand Rapids bonsai hobbyists (can't think of a better word) have beautiful trees (Tim Priest, Tim Cox, etc) also if they would allow you to view them.
Also, Grand Rapids has been voted Beer City, USA more than once. From bigger names like Founder's and Atwater to niche breweries like Creston (my favorite) and Brewery Vivant, its beer paradise...
Not sure about the third B, I'm vegetarian🙃

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

Some of these trees rotate on display at Longwood Gardens nearby. It is a beautiful place to check out. They have an incredible orchid collection and wonderful grounds. It is especially great around christmas time when the gardens are decorated and lit up.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
We actually have a destination brewery in a small town near me, it's a large Scottish brewery that picked Canal Winchester for their first and flagship brewery here in the states. It's called Brewdog. They have a restaurant attached, and also a very cool hotel- I book Owen there when he's here for study group. Apparently there are taps in the rooms! And they do a great gourmet breakfast so I hear...

Top Bottom