USDA and olives from Israel

MrBeto

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I won in a bid a nice olive tree grown in Israel last july. Little did I know that I would get a visit from the USDA to seize my olive. Apparently, the olive didn’t have the proper documentation, and them’s are forbidden in the US. I won it in ebay. Didn’t cost me much, but the fact that it was grown there, made it somehow special. I still don’t have it clear how it passed customs. The guy was nice, and explained me the whole thing, which I ignored. Lesson learned. Be careful whoever is not aware of this situation while buying trees from overseas. I’m sure it not only applies to olives.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I still don’t have it clear how it passed customs.
This is mystery to me too. If the parcel is suspected it's held by the customs entering your country... Once it crosses your door it's yours. Or?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Um, err, uhh, don't know how long you've been doing bonsai, but USDA import restrictions and quarantine requirements for bonsai are pretty well known. Imports are not really an option for the individual not equipped to deal with the quarantine periods and other requirements. Unfortunately, imported bonsai are proven vectors of problem insects (long horn beetle for instance) and disease.

Importing any living thing into the U.S. isn't a cake walk. This is especially true of crop plants that include olives because they threaten the plants that are here with potential disease or invasive tendencies.
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/feb/14/uk-alert-phony-peach-disease

https://www.cnbc.com/2015/05/11/italys-olive-trees-affected-by-xylella-disease.html
https://www.seattletimes.com/life/f...-disease-will-destroy-its-famous-olive-trees/

I'd bet the box was in a larger container that was tracked and it took a while for the ship's manifest to be analyzed by Customs and Border Protection and sent on to USDA. Be grateful the inspector was cool...You could have faced fines and other stuff, if I'm not mistaken.

Guidelines
https://www.aphis.usda.gov/publicat...table_version/PlantInspectionStations2007.pdf

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Bizarre

Been to Israel many, many time and can confirm, it's littered with Olives. There's a whole mount of them somewhere...

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is mystery to me too. If the parcel is suspected it's held by the customs entering your country... Once it crosses your door it's yours. Or?
Uh, no. I don't think any customs system works on a "it's now in my house, you can't have it back" basis.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Uh, no. I don't think any customs system works on a "it's now in my house, you can't have it back" basis.
Yes, now I understand after you mentioned that container tracking thing.

MrBeto

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Um, err, uhh, don't know how long you've been doing bonsai, but USDA import restrictions and quarantine requirements for bonsai are pretty well known. Imports are not really an option for the individual not equipped to deal with the quarantine periods and other requirements. Unfortunately, imported bonsai are proven vectors of problem insects (long horn beetle for instance) and disease.

Importing any living thing into the U.S. isn't a cake walk. This is especially true of crop plants that include olives because they threaten the plants that are here with potential disease or invasive tendencies.
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/feb/14/uk-alert-phony-peach-disease

https://www.cnbc.com/2015/05/11/italys-olive-trees-affected-by-xylella-disease.html
https://www.seattletimes.com/life/f...-disease-will-destroy-its-famous-olive-trees/

I'd bet the box was in a larger container that was tracked and it took a while for the ship's manifest to be analyzed by Customs and Border Protection and sent on to USDA. Be grateful the inspector was cool...You could have faced fines and other stuff, if I'm not mistaken.
As I stated, my mistake. I had no idea. If I was to be fined, I would have hired a lawyer, obviously depending on the whole situation. I guess the officer didn’t find anything that could lead him to fine me, being this a first offense, or however is called.

Pads

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
What if the olive had not survived the trip and you had thrown it away?

MrBeto

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What if the olive had not survived the trip and you had thrown it away?
I don’t know. The recent flood we had here in Houston, swept away some of my trees. I could’ve told him just that, but I got caught off guard. I realized it after. But it’s ok. I gotta abide by the law. Like I said, I’m a student of the game. I’m learning.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I won in a bid a nice olive tree grown in Israel last july. Little did I know that I would get a visit from the USDA to seize my olive. Apparently, the olive didn’t have the proper documentation, and them’s are forbidden in the US. I won it in ebay. Didn’t cost me much, but the fact that it was grown there, made it somehow special. I still don’t have it clear how it passed customs. The guy was nice, and explained me the whole thing, which I ignored. Lesson learned. Be careful whoever is not aware of this situation while buying trees from overseas. I’m sure it not only applies to olives.
I am surprised you received a visit. More surprised that the tree arrived. Even more curious as to how the USDA got involved. The surprise is based on my experience trying to navigate Import, Export, Inspection,Transport with USDA and particularly with the new APHIS system which links federal agricultural permits to state inspection activities.
As a Canadian Bonsai artist who has trained in the United States, attended many conventions, purchased and transported trees from various states back to Canada, I can verify that there are many regulations both federal and state that affect the ability to purchase, import and transport trees. Bonsai enthusiasts are best to stick with Licensed growers with current state inspection status and access to phytosanitary certificates. Transport permits, Import and Export permits are all needed under various circumstances. Also, there is often a list of species that are not permitted to cross borders under any circumstances. And then there is the question of collecting native species and transporting them across state or international borders.
If you attend a Bonsai Convention or workshop, make sure that the tree you purchased can be transported back to your home location. Particularly if you are flying. If you put on a convention or workshop and expect registrations from out of state or country be sure the tree suppliers are certified and the local inspectors will issue phytosanitary certificates. Then inform the participants that they are responsible for their own Import or Export Permits if required. Some states even require transport permits to move trees between locations. The state of California has inspection stations at the borders to check on all agricultural products. ( including trees )
PS: I have always been able to acquire trees that are permitted with the proper documentation. It does add considerably to the expense and effort required.
NB: for some it is more convenient to beg forgiveness if caught than to get permission, this i understand and i intend no slight. The paperwork and expense is ridiculous to say the least.

MrBeto

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am surprised you received a visit. More surprised that the tree arrived. Even more curious as to how the USDA got involved. The surprise is based on my experience trying to navigate Import, Export, Inspection,Transport with USDA and particularly with the new APHIS system which links federal agricultural permits to state inspection activities.
As a Canadian Bonsai artist who has trained in the United States, attended many conventions, purchased and transported trees from various states back to Canada, I can verify that there are many regulations both federal and state that affect the ability to purchase, import and transport trees. Bonsai enthusiasts are best to stick with Licensed growers with current state inspection status and access to phytosanitary certificates. Transport permits, Import and Export permits are all needed under various circumstances. Also, there is often a list of species that are not permitted to cross borders under any circumstances. And then there is the question of collecting native species and transporting them across state or international borders.
If you attend a Bonsai Convention or workshop, make sure that the tree you purchased can be transported back to your home location. Particularly if you are flying. If you put on a convention or workshop and expect registrations from out of state or country be sure the tree suppliers are certified and the local inspectors will issue phytosanitary certificates. Then inform the participants that they are responsible for their own Import or Export Permits if required. Some states even require transport permits to move trees between locations. The state of California has inspection stations at the borders to check on all agricultural products. ( including trees )
PS: I have always been able to acquire trees that are permitted with the proper documentation. It does add considerably to the expense and effort required.
NB: for some it is more convenient to beg forgiveness if caught than to get permission, this i understand and i intend no slight. The paperwork and expense is ridiculous to say the least.
Yes. I’ll say that it’s worth to go through all that paperwork if we are talking about a very expensive and special tree. In my case, all I paid was like $40 including shipping. If I knew what was involved, geez, I wouldn’t even think about it. It felt like I was a felon or something, smuggling trees, which somehow, it makes sense. This was a very valuable lesson. All I gotta do now, is to get me another european olive, but grown in the US !

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Yes. I’ll say that it’s worth to go through all that paperwork if we are talking about a very expensive and special tree. In my case, all I paid was like $40 including shipping. If I knew what was involved, geez, I wouldn’t even think about it. It felt like I was a felon or something, smuggling trees, which somehow, it makes sense. This was a very valuable lesson. All I gotta do now, is to get me another european olive, but grown in the US !
Great idea, and they grow really well from cuttings, fast growers. If you get one remember that to add movement wire early:). They harden up real quick.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
https://www.moonvalleynurseries.com/trees/olive-trees
https://www.temeculaoliveoil.com/live-olive-trees

Or if you want something a little larger
http://oliveadreamtrees.com/index.php?pag=sculpted

http://swgtrees.com/index.php/olive-trees/

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
FWIW, the seller should have notified you of the potential customs problem. If they didn't, I'd post some negative feedback on their Ebay site. They should know the customs requirements to do what they're doing. They probably do and don't give a crap.

MrBeto

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
FWIW, the seller should have notified you of the potential customs problem. If they didn't, I'd post some negative feedback on their Ebay site. They should know the customs requirements to do what they're doing. They probably do and don't give a crap.
Yes. The usda officer told me to contact ebay, for a possible refund. He said they work often with eBay. There’s a lot of cases like this.

sparklemotion

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
This is an amazing story. Sounds like there were failures at multiple levels that ended up being solved by people being reasonable at the human level.

As long as we're speculating, I bet that your tree was one of the first plants that the seller had shipped over. If a later shipment did get stopped, that could start a paperwork review that would lead to you.

That being said, I also wouldn't be surprised if one of the agent's jobs while he was there getting your $40 tree was to make sure you weren't some illegal bonsai kingpin.

Top Bottom