Use of chemical fertilizer

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
For the last 10 years I've used mostly organic fertilizers. I never get super strong growth this way but I get consistent growth and health with my trees. Over the next few years I'm going to try to bulk up some younger plants. I was looking into chemical fertilizers and came across one called apex http://www.simplot.com/turf_horticu... / 22-2.6-9.9 Elemental (Metric) Item #797559. Has anyone tried this brand, the plus or max lines as they don't contain urea sounded the most interesting to me? If so what was your experience and does it actually last all year under normal bonsai growing conditions with fast draining soil? Do you think Urea based fertilizers have any ill effects on long term plant health? Seems like some people on here use osmocote once a season.

Thanks
Ben

buddhamonk

Chumono
Reaction score
I know a much cheaper way to get urea but i honestly do not know what it would to plants.

nathanbs

Omono
Reaction score
I know several people that use or have used Apex, Ted Matson being one of them. I never heard him say they had problems I can ask. Chemical fertilizers in general are great during the growing portion of building your trees, especially and mainly the trunk growing portion. Beyond that I've experienced and been taught that the growth from chemical versus organic can be too coarse and too fast in many cases to develop short internodes and fine ramification.

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I haven't personally used Apex (YET... I was given a bunch by a fellow club member and plan on trying it this year :)). However, Jim Gremel swears by the stuff and the health of his trees are pretty good proof of its effectiveness. Consequently, many other REBS members use it and you often see the little green pellets covering the surface of the soil around their trees.

That being said, others (Ryan Neil being one of them) urge strongly against the use of chemical fertilizers and say you should only use organics. I seem to remember Ryan using the analogy that feeding your trees Miracle Grow and other synthetics is like people eating McDonalds vs a healthy diet of organic foods. Maybe there is some truth to that. I don't know but it probably comes down to personal preference.

Personally, I use a combination of organics and chemical fertilizers. I usually alternate between applications of Miracle Grow and fish emulsion throughout the growing season. I have also used Osmocote for my slow release in the past and as I said plan on trying Apex this year.

Hope that helps more than confuses the issue.:D

Cory

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Fertilizer is one of three toxic subject that come along on bonsai sites, politics, and art are the other two. No one can seem to agree and everyone has an opinion----one way or the other, with lots of evidence to prove their respective decisions. The truth seems to be that the best choice is what ever works for you. If what you are doing is not working then go searching for reasons and alternatives. I use Osmocote and what ever chemical fertilizer is available. Occasionally I will throw in a bit of Epsom Salts and Fish Emulsion.

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Ryan also works from established material so that's probably one of the main reasons why he doesn't suggest it. Giving a 500 year old pine long internodes would be a sin!!!!

nathanbs

Omono
Reaction score
Ryan is who told me chemical fertilizer is fine during the growing of the tree just not during the refinement

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Time release fert makes life easy.

Agreed.

I use it too but only put half the recommended dosage. I try to apply the liquid at half strength to supplement it further. Why? Fert diversification, if I or the time release fail at one point, the trees still get some fert. :D

This way, I am not too stressed thinking about my fert schedule. This is supposed to be a relaxing hobby after all. ;)

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I know a much cheaper way to get urea but i honestly do not know what it would to plants.

IF you are thinking what I think you are...I read some people use that free urea fert once in a while w/ good results. One concern is the smell. ;)

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
IF you are thinking what I think you are...I read some people use that free urea fert once in a while w/ good results. One concern is the smell. ;)

It used to be possible to obtain Urea from feed and farm supply stores, but now, with all the concerns about fertilizer bombs I not so sure how difficult this might be to obtain. You should also know fooling around with fertilizers you can test positive at check points in air ports and might wind up having some double-digit-IQed individual looking up your back side.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It used to be possible to obtain Urea from feed and farm supply stores, but now, with all the concerns about fertilizer bombs I not so sure how difficult this might be to obtain. You should also know fooling around with fertilizers you can test positive at check points in air ports and might wind up having some double-digit-IQed individual looking up your back side.
LOL. I am thinking more in the line of this. ;)
http://www.ehow.com/how_4701584_use-urine-fertilizer.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urea

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Can't seem to find any way to buy apex fertilizers online or locally. Anyone know where I can buy it or is it only distributed to the nursery industry?

Top Bottom