Using driftwood for wisteria bonsai

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
A coworker gave me this piece of driftwood. I am contemplating the use of it to train my wisteria since the one I have us still in its infancy. Trunk build up will take years I am sure. By the time the wood rot away my wisteria will have built up enough to be on its own. Your thoughts?
70024EE6-F095-4CF4-A7BF-59E8A174B3D4.jpeg

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Wisteria planted in the ground will shock you with growth. In 4 years a new wisteria will copy that piece of driftwood almost exactly.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Wisteria planted in the ground will shock you with growth. In 4 years a new wisteria will copy that piece of driftwood almost exactly.
Mine has been in the ground 3 years and grew little. Must be the salt air it didn’t like.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hell yeah! Looks awesome. You could saw it flat on the bottom and create some kind of base to be anchored/wired to the container. Then just let the wisteria wrap up/around it. I bet the wood will last longer than you think, especially if you apply lime sulphur.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I thought the OP ...was... wisteria. The last house I bought had wisteria all over the pergola. One of the limbs was about 2 inches thick and ran at 45 degrees THROUGH the damn deck. Made it impossible to use til I cut it out. I fought that wisteria like a pitched battle. Ripped billions of those damn blossom clusters every year trying to keep them out of the gutter.
Course, the dumb lady who owned the house had also removed unwanted trees by cutting them off at EYE LEVEL!

Them was fun! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: 💩 💩

I had to haul off the dumb palm stump that was 4 feet high.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I thought the OP ...was... wisteria. The last house I bought had wisteria all over the pergola. One of the limbs was about 2 inches thick and ran at 45 degrees THROUGH the damn deck. Made it impossible to use til I cut it out. I fought that wisteria like a pitched battle. Ripped billions of those damn blossom clusters every year trying to keep them out of the gutter.
Course, the dumb lady who owned the house had also removed unwanted trees by cutting them off at EYE LEVEL!

Them was fun! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: 💩 💩

I had to haul off the dumb palm stump that was 4 feet high.
I thought wisteria grows fast too until I planted two of them in my yard. Now that I checked my record, those trees have been in the ground for more than 4 years. Yet the trunk is only 1/2" to 3/4". Each year about the time they want to take off and grow, the dang storms come, strip off the leaves, break the branches, and the trees have to start over. Usually that happen about twice a year. They never grow big at all. Now that I moved to a tiny house, I have no place to put them in the house, I am going to put them in grow boxes.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
So I dug one up and the trunk is 1 inch. I decided not to use the drift wood. I removed most of the soil since the tree has not grown much in that soil. I removed all weeds and roots, placed it on a grow tray and set it in a deep grow box next to a place where it can grab on and grow. I will move it to a pot before I move up north if it looks good by then.9C59A0DD-1084-46A6-BB1E-FF31A23B22A2.jpeg43965F97-1CB9-4320-A490-80F57DD50E5E.jpegAC5FE130-293B-4170-84DB-2B5F7B5DC885.jpeg98CCCC97-E9E4-4E81-9BED-664050744771.jpeg

Top Bottom