Using Huang hybrid azaleas for bonsai

Chuah

Shohin
Reaction score
These are the Huang hybrid azaleas in the Stephen F Austin State University's Ruby Mize Garden. They are simply gorgeous. The cultivars are identified by three numbers, first number denotes time of blooms: early, mid or late, second number denotes type and size of blooms, third number is for colors.

The is what the SFA University garden said about Huang azalea 1-3-61 in their newsletter: "... it's one of our favorites. Named 'Dottie's Red Dancer' after Dottie Wisely, this azalea is heat tolerant, durable, unaffected by lace bugs (so far), and never fails to put on a great spring show. At our plant sale April 2, 2016!"

IMG_8344-001.JPG
Sounds like a good one to grow as bonsai in the south. The flowers are quite small and in clusters. My Huang 1-3-61 obtained last year is just chopstick size, see my post of Huang azalea bonsai in 10 years!

IMG_8466.JPG IMG_8469.JPG
More Huang azalea from the Mize Garden. First introduced to the US by

IMG_8343-001.JPG
IMG_8345-001.JPG IMG_8351.JPG
IMG_8347.JPG IMG_8350.JPG

Chuah

Shohin
Reaction score
Nice, colors look like Satsuki is in the background of these hybrids, but growth pattern in a bit different. Do you know what species went into the mix for this group of hybrids?
The whole bed is Huang azalea, satsukis are in another bed. Some of the flowers look like satsuki flowers but they withstand the harsh heat of the south. Unfortunatey, not much is known about the hybrids. Mr. Huang and his father were very famous horticulturists, and they developed many beautiful camellia and azalea cultivars. During the Chinese cultural revolution, Mr. Huang, who at that time worked for the Shanghai Botanical Garden, was considered a bourgeouise. He was sent to labor camp and re-education for 10 years. All his breeding records were destroyed by the Red Guards. Mr. Huang survived the ordeal and lived to a I think 97 years old. When China was opened after Nixon's visit, US horticulturists went to China and brought back some of his cultivars. They were shocked by the beauties, and one horticulturist said Huang cultivars would easily become one of the top 100 azaleas in the world. The cultivars underwent trialing at the Auburn University. Some of them were later distributed to other botanical gardens and azalea enthusiasts when Auburn U had to make space for other trial plantings.

SFA University started the trialing of Huang azalea in 2000. They have since drawn oohs and aahs from visitors. You can't find them in nursery but some were put on sale during SFA plant sale day. I hope more people get to know this hybrid. Apparently it is easier to take care than satsuki in our hot weather.

Harunobu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Wow Huang hybrids. Quite exotic.

Those sports, aren't they more likely to originate from the mysterious 'Vittatum', whatever that was exactly? Probably some mutant of some strain of R.simsii. They must be based on something in China.

Last time they were discussed here, someone mentioned a nursery in Arkansan selling them.

Chuah

Shohin
Reaction score
Wow Huang hybrids. Quite exotic.

Those sports, aren't they more likely to originate from the mysterious 'Vittatum', whatever that was exactly? Probably some mutant of some strain of R.simsii. They must be based on something in China.

Last time they were discussed here, someone mentioned a nursery in Arkansan selling them.
Sorry guys, I just saw the last two posts. Harunobu, I was the one who wrote I bought some Huang hybrids from Arkanasa: Huang 1-6-31, 3-7-21, 4-5-61 and 4-5-72. They are in the flower beds. The 4-series just started to bloom.

Chuah, the last three pictures look a lot like the flowers on my cascade azalea in the Flowers 2017 thread. I never did get the name of the azalea, so maybe it is a Huang.

John

John: I have to check the Flowers 2017 threads. Would not be surprised you have a Huang hybrid since Auburn University was the one that gave away these hybrids after trial growing.

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Sorry guys, I just saw the last two posts. Harunobu, I was the one who wrote I bought some Huang hybrids from Arkanasa: Huang 1-6-31, 3-7-21, 4-5-61 and 4-5-72. They are in the flower beds. The 4-series just started to bloom.

John: I have to check the Flowers 2017 threads. Would not be surprised you have a Huang hybrid since Auburn University was the one that gave away these hybrids after trial growing.

Maybe, and I hope so, I like knowing the name of the azaleas that I have. And the Auburn connection is cool too, my wife has two degrees from there, we go there often during football season.

Chuah

Shohin
Reaction score
Top Bottom