Using Lime Sulphur and dilution rate

augustine

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
All,

Like all of us I am interested in keeping my pines pest and fungus free. Mr. Julian Adams stated that he uses lime sulphur as part of his regimen. We have lots of humidity here on the East Coast.

How should Lime Sulphur be used as a dormant spray? What is the dilution rate? (Bonsai4me lists 1:25 and 1:50 dilution rates.) Can I use it now?

Is it used during the growing season and, if so, under what circumstances and how?

Thank you for the help.

Augustine,
Central MD - 7a

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I asked Julian this same question once.

He says

"I only use the lime sulfur on two needle pines, three
needle pines, and shimpaku juniper. It may be toxic to other evergreens. It
is said to definitely be toxic to azaleas. For the 2 & 3 needle pines and
shimpakus, the ratio I use is 6 ounces of lime sulfur to one gallon of
water."

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Many labels don't give a dilution rate. Mine didn't. I use Julians ratio with no problem on my black pines although I reduce it to 5 ounces.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
For what original strength is this?

If I understand it right they come in various strength depending on where you buy it. Thanks.

I've purchased lime sulfur marketed as an anti-fungal/anti-pest dormant spray, and also as a primary bonsai dedicated deadwood bleaching agent- the strength has always been either 28-29% (in my experience).

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I read at IBC moons ago that some are concentrate and a lot of the new batch being sold now for bonsai are weaker/diluted.

Some pet supply lime sulfur dip is actually 97.8% (hint if you are looking for some...just note it is concentrate) :)

Top Bottom