Using non-aged fir bark nuggets

Cruiser

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
How much of an issue is it to use non-aged fir bark as a soil component? I’ve read it can absorb nitrogen. In my case it would be combined with pumice and used for growing trees out, not for refinement.

I have 30 gallons of ‘mini pebble’ bark nuggets. It’s a good size and shape relative to my other ingredients so I’d like to use it up.
If the nitrogen absorption is too problematic ,would adding a balanced organic fertilizer help?

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Well, at some point that nitrogen has to come out again. And wood having a tubular internal structure, would make me think that it shouldn't take very long for it to happen.
You can also wet the bag you have so that it starts breaking down inside the bag.

I haven't found any issues with fresh bark, except that it's hard to wetten sometimes.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Likely depends on size of pieces. Randy Knight heels in many(valuable)collected Yamadori in fresh wood chips so should not be bad to use these☺️.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Fertilize regularly and it won't be an issue.
This is it^^^^
I use them quite often, as I do pine bark. The are not aged. This bit about locking up nitrogen is not relevant in pot culture when used as part of a mix and with regular fertilizing.

Cruiser

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Thanks for the replies, everyone. I ended up using the fir bark.

- It was purchased wet but not soaking or moldy
- The smaller pieces were mixed with 5-5-5 organic fertilizer.

- Soil mix ratio…
1 part:
Fertilized fir bark 3-10 mm
Pumice 8-15 mm:

2 parts:
Pumice 7-10 mm
Medium fir bark 8-15 mm
Diatomaceous earth 3-6 mm

More uniform particle sizes would have been ideal, but I spent 4 hours sifting and was over it. Plus this mix is mainly just to grow the trees out.

Top Bottom